The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1979 Silverface Champ. Looks to be in excellent cosmetic condition. All original except for a "replaced period correct Jensen C8R speaker".

I'm keen but I think he's asking too much. What's a reasonable non-lowball offer for a SF Champ?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
So maybe $350 is reasonable? It is super clean: http://ottawa.craigslist.ca/msg/482545496.html -- so tempting...

Any advice on making sure it's actually a late 70's champ and not a dolled up modern Champ?
By the looks of it in the picture, it's a '70s Champ. If or when you go to look at it, check he codes on the transformers.There's usually a 606XXX number there. The first X will be the last digit of the year. The next two XX's will bethe week of that year. This will tell you if any of the transformers have been changed and around the year it was made...it's not a perfect way to tell but will give you an idea...as for price, it's decent price as the amp looks clean

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks nonreverb. No chance you're the seller, eh? :smile:

·
Registered
316 Posts
That is a very good price, you could always ask the owner for a shot of the inside of the chassis. At that price though if I was in the market, I'd grab it; it won't last and you'll have no trouble recouping your money if you don't like it.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
yur right al3d- but again its worth it at the higher price- soon they will all be crazy expensive. if it was me, id be on it while i had the chance.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to pass. I'd like a champ but it doesn't have to be that clean and I don't want to part with that much cash for amp I'm going to just play around with at home.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did a little more research and I think I'm more interested in a Princeton now. I want something little that stays really clean.

And deviating slightly from all of this: does anyone know what the output impedance on that Champ would be? I couldn't find a spec for it on the speaker home page.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Any idea on the value of a Blackface Vibro Champ?

I bought it used around 1995, and it's been sitting in a closet most of the time since then. I don't know much about it, except it works.

·
Registered
316 Posts
iaresee, I have an 82 Super Champ with a JBL K110, it doesn't break up like a typical Champ. The only problem is the price, they are priced almost as high as a SFDR. Actually I could have bought a 74 SFDR for a lot less about 2 yrs ago. I would keep an eye out for a Champ II as well. I had an 82 PRII with a 12" JBL that didn't have the balls and bottom end that the Super Champ has.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Champ values

It is my personal belief that silverface Champs are worth between $225 and $375, depending on condition, originality, and speaker.

Likewise, it seems reasonable that blackface champs are $450--550, depending on condition and originality,

In a retail environment, add on for the real estate.

Champs actually can cut a 20-30 person room with glass and tile, as long as there is no real drummer. They're fairly dirty when doing this, though, so I can see the argument for a non-reverb Princeton.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts