Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little preface -

several years ago i wanted something i could use to plug my guitar into the computer. i only wanted to play along to mp3s from my computer speakers. i went to steve's ( i think) and ended up with a line 6 pod gx.
it did what i wanted it to do pretty well, and i was able to make lots of tones i liked. it came with riffworks t4. i never even used it for the first year or 2. a buddy came over, and when i saw what he could do with it, i began playing around with it.
i managed to learn how to make whole songs with it. it's pretty easy to use, even if it won't do certain things that i wish it could.
anyhow, the pod is dying, and i can't find anyone to repair it. i went out and bought the scarlett. i have not even opened the box yet because i will need a new set of monitors. the scarlett has two 1/4" jacks for left and right. the speakers i have now (little fostek 3" powered monitors i bought at l&m for $100) aren't like that. how do i look for powered speakers that will work with this? i don't know what to call them.
anyone have any suggestions? i don't want to break the bank, but would like something decent and durable.

also, this comes with pro tools. is it harder to use? i have heard the name but i have never used it. are there any must-have downloads i should get if i don't already have them? any resources for tips and tricks would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have that interface...ive loved it since i got it...
I bought Mackie CR3's...they seem to be pretty good
I use reaper...cheap/free, easy to use (i prefered it to cubase)

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I was between a Scarlett and the Steinberg UR22 MKII. Went with the Steinberg because of the Yamaha D Pre preamps, but the Scarlett seemed damn good as well. Steinberg is built like a tank as well. Might be worth a comparison. Pick the DAW that fits your style. I've switched to Reaper fairly recently as I was using Cakewalk which was too clunky for me.

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use reaper...cheap/free, easy to use (i prefered it to cubase)
i will look into those speakers, thanks for the suggestion! but i have another question below...

I use it with GarageBand and Logic.
. Pick the DAW that fits your style. I've switched to Reaper fairly recently as I was using Cakewalk which was too clunky for me.
tbo i don't know if i have a style. is "complete noob" a style? hahahaha i really don't know one from another. can you guys say a little about what drew you to that software? what didn't you like about protools? before this i only used riffworks t4, that is the entirety of my experience so far.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
can you guys say a little about what drew you to that software? what didn't you like about protools? before this i only used riffworks t4, that is the entirety of my experience so far.
I chose Reaper because the features are amazing, the cost is very reasonable, and the individual license includes frequent upgrades.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
@cheezyridr Style was probably a poor term to use for what to choose as a DAW. Find one with an interface (GUI) that will allow you to quickly and easily get what you want done. Maybe try out the Protools First one, then if it doesn't seem as straightforward or feature rich as you'd like, try something else. But like @Merlin mentioned, Reaper is full of great features, has a fairly easy interface to learn, and for what it offers is definitely the best bang for your buck. By far. The other Daws will tear a hole in your wallet the size of Manhattan if you want to get to a different level of recording. A $70 (give or take) Reaper purchase will give you all the features that can (will) cost hundreds of dollars to acquire from the other outfits. Plus there is a lot of really god instructionables out there on the web re: Reaper.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
I absolutely love GarageBand as far as something to quickly get ideas down with. The AI drummer feature is crazy. And it was free with my Macs which are my work computers. I have Logic as well and love it too. I am still learning to use it though. It's easy, it's just that it's got so many features.

·
Premium Member
16,835 Posts
2i4 wont clip like a 2i2 will unless they fixed it. I use mine with garageband and it works fine.

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2i4 wont clip like a 2i2 will unless they fixed it. I use mine with garageband and it works fine.
i saw a video that mentioned that, and they claim they did (fix) with this version, but i don't know that yet. they also mention slight lagging.

·
Premium Member
16,835 Posts
I got my 2i4 probably 4 or 5 years ago now, because the 2i2 I originally bought clipped with my 90's squier strat. Given all my other guitars have humbuckers, that wasn't going to work out haha. I brought it back, paid the difference for the 2i4 and haven't had any issues with it. That said I use it sparingly to demo ideas at home.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
I didn't ask which OS you're using Cheezy. Mac or PC? It'll make a big difference in the choice you make.
It actually makes very little difference nowadays with the better interfaces. GarageBand and Logic have been plug and play with pretty much any interface I have tried. And the Scarlett has worked on any pc rig I have tried. You'd be more worried about older operating systems with either os than the 'Mac vs pc' thing nowadays. Peripherals working on macs or pcs isn't a big thing anymore. There definitely is some hardware out there where it would be a factor, but not with some of the really common hardware like these Scarlett units.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It actually makes very little difference nowadays with the better interfaces. GarageBand and Logic have been plug and play with pretty much any interface I have tried. And the Scarlett has worked on any pc rig I have tried. You'd be more worried about older operating systems with either os than the 'Mac vs pc' thing nowadays. Peripherals working on macs or pcs isn't a big thing anymore. There definitely is some hardware out there where it would be a factor, but not with some of the really common hardware like these Scarlett units.
Yeah. I was more responding to the DAW rather than the actual hardware interface itself. I noticed a number of people responding with Garageband so I thought I'd pose that as a question. Unless there's a new version of Garageband or Logic for PC that is.

·
Premium Member
5,121 Posts
Yeah. I was more responding to the DAW rather than the actual hardware interface itself. I noticed a number of people responding with Garageband so I thought I'd pose that as a question. Unless there's a new version of Garageband or Logic for PC that is.
It's too bad there isn't. They are both fantastic programs. I actually bought a used MacBook a couple of weeks back just so that I could run them on a dedicated computer. I basically build full demos for my band including using the AI drummer, and a 2013 MacBook is working fine for that. I'm running about 12 tracks at a time. I can sit down, plugin, and have a full demo ready in an hour with GarageBand. It's so easy and smooth. It's really improved my writing and got me playing more.

I have been gradually learning Logic and loving it.

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a few new new questions. hopefully some of you can answer these

1) before, when i was using the line 6 pod, it came with a program called "pod farm". it gave me tons of simulated amps and a zillion effects i could mix and match to create tones i liked. everything was adjustable just like the real thing. is there anything like that i could use for this interface? pod farm doesn't work one you disconnect the pod gx. right now, all i have is a clean guitar sound. i can get some dirt if i turn up the gain, but it's not what i'm after

2) i am getting this thing where what ever i do, watching videos, listening to music, etc does this thing where it will stop for 1 second, and then resume. how can i make it not do that? sometimes i am getting a bug code error

3) i like to play along to mp3s sometimes. the scarlett is slightly louder than windows media player. how can i separately adjust their volumes?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts