The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

· Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Anyone who visits this site, member or not, can read anything. They can't reply to a thread or start a conversation without joining. There are restrictions on posting in the for sale section but not anywhere else, also not on contacting other members
Scammers want soft targets. Locking out non-approved members who require approval makes it more work that its worth to target people here.

I'm a member of another site that was having issues with fraud. They implemented a handful of measures and the problem was resolved. We aren't the first site to have this issue.

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Scammers want soft targets. Locking out non-approved members who require approval makes it more work that its worth to target people here.

I'm a member of another site that was having issues with fraud. They implemented a handful of measures and the problem was resolved. We aren't the first site to have this issue.
What were the measures?

· Premium Member
2,424 Posts
What were the measures?
Off the top of my head. Classifieds are only viewable by approved members. Members have to ask permission to gain access to the classifieds.

An easy to use feedback system that's attached to the user also drastically reduces attempts at fraud because you know you're only going to get to screw one person before it's public knowledge. From what I understand we used to have that here but it was taken away at some point in favour of the rarely used "Feedback subforum".

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Off the top of my head. Classifieds are only viewable by approved members. Members have to ask permission to gain access to the classifieds.

An easy to use feedback system that's attached to the user also drastically reduces attempts at fraud because you know you're only going to get to screw one person before it's public knowledge. From what I understand we used to have that here but it was taken away at some point in favour of the rarely used "Feedback subforum".
I've given up asking for our old feedback system to be implemented. it shouldn't be difficult, TGP rolled it out immediately when they upgraded to this software. As for permission to view classifieds VS would need to grant the mods more permissions to be able to do that. Right now we can't.

· Premium Member
2,424 Posts
I've given up asking for our old feedback system to be implemented. it shouldn't be difficult, TGP rolled it out immediately when they upgraded to this software. As for permission to view classifieds VS would need to grant the mods more permissions to be able to do that. Right now we can't.
Then we're likely looking at more of this.

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Then we're likely looking at more of this.
Yep, we have to rely upon members reporting anything resembling a scam or spam before we can act. We have paid membership or minimum post counts in place to control posting in the For Sale Forums but nothing that actually prevents reading. Having said that a couple of the recently banned scammers actually paid for premium membership to avoid wait times.

· Premium Member
6,677 Posts
Yep, we have to rely upon members reporting anything resembling a scam or spam before we can act. We have paid membership or minimum post counts in place to control posting in the For Sale Forums but nothing that actually prevents reading. Having said that a couple of the recently banned scammers actually paid for premium membership to avoid wait times.
So if I understand it right, the premium membership is now or should I say, is now required again in order to post in the For Sale forum?

· Premium Member
2,424 Posts
I pointed out some time ago that paying isn't a deterrent. Because the fraud value is so much higher than the cost.

· Registered
1,889 Posts
Wouldn't buying local and in person solve a lot of these problems?
I have sold gear over distance but only because the buyer initiated contact with me and asked me to.
One of those sales was on this site and the others were on KiJiJi.
I posted a guitar on here and clearly stated central Alberta buyers preferred and a guy from PEI wanted it so I agreed to the deal but I always try to sell locally if I can.
I have purchased gear from reputable online retailers with a return policy but I would never buy from an individual at a distance.
Not being able to hold the item in my hands and check it over is an absolute deal breaker; no exceptions.
It simply would never happen; I would never risk it.
There are just too many ways to get burned.

I fully agree with @crann; caveat emptor.

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Reactions: fogdart

· Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
FYI - I was messaged by this member (terryeric470) who joined the forum 30 min ago about a W
TB ad. Given his message I'd say it's safe to say this is a scam. Just fair warning and PSA.

View attachment 412338
Thanks for letting us know. For quickest action in the future, please PM the mods. That way we are sure to see it quickly.

· Premium Member
20,349 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. For quickest action in the future, please PM the mods. That way we are sure to see it quickly.
Is reporting it also a reasonable approach for a "quick action"?

· Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Is reporting it also a reasonable approach for a "quick action"?
Absolutely, but a PM will yield the quickest result. I get an email alert when I’ve got a PM on the forum. We don’t get an email alert for reports - we only see them when we log on. A scammer can rip off a number of members in under an hour.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts