The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We continue to be targeted by scammers in both the WTB and For Sale categories. When dealing with a new member with no history please use extreme caution. We recently banned a new user "mmk7" following an alert from a member suspecting a scam. This guy claimed to have the guitar our member was looking for but when questioned more specifically to provide proof he eventually disappeared. We banned him as soon as we heard but it wasn't quickly enough and another member looks to have lost some money to this guy. He has since tried to rejoin twice to my knowledge under different user names but has so far been stopped both times.

Things to watch for, questions to ask.

1. Someone who just joined.
2. Someone demanding payment by EMT only.
3. Someone avoiding supplying pics of the item in question.
4. Someone unwilling to provide other references.
5. Someone willing to lower the price dramatically for cash or EMT.

I'm sure there are other flags, be careful out there.

If you suspect someone please bring it to our attention as soon as possible.

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was DM'd by this person for my WTB amp thread. They joined and messaged me at 2 hrs as a member. I blocked and ignored them. Should I have forwarded it to you Dave?

Sorry someone lost money.
Yes, please alert one of the mods when this happens. We'll look into it and ban them when appropriate.

Reactions: nbs2005

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can members who aren't approved to post in the For Sale section still able to access it? Because that would be incredibly stupid.
Anyone who visits this site, member or not, can read anything. They can't reply to a thread or start a conversation without joining. There are restrictions on posting in the for sale section but not anywhere else, also not on contacting other members

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Scammers want soft targets. Locking out non-approved members who require approval makes it more work that its worth to target people here.

I'm a member of another site that was having issues with fraud. They implemented a handful of measures and the problem was resolved. We aren't the first site to have this issue.
What were the measures?

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Off the top of my head. Classifieds are only viewable by approved members. Members have to ask permission to gain access to the classifieds.

An easy to use feedback system that's attached to the user also drastically reduces attempts at fraud because you know you're only going to get to screw one person before it's public knowledge. From what I understand we used to have that here but it was taken away at some point in favour of the rarely used "Feedback subforum".
I've given up asking for our old feedback system to be implemented. it shouldn't be difficult, TGP rolled it out immediately when they upgraded to this software. As for permission to view classifieds VS would need to grant the mods more permissions to be able to do that. Right now we can't.

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Then we're likely looking at more of this.
Yep, we have to rely upon members reporting anything resembling a scam or spam before we can act. We have paid membership or minimum post counts in place to control posting in the For Sale Forums but nothing that actually prevents reading. Having said that a couple of the recently banned scammers actually paid for premium membership to avoid wait times.

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Okay, so that requirement to have paid membership was put back in, but you don't have to do it if your post count is more than 25.
Yes. You're a lifetime premium member anyway so you'll never have to pay.

Reactions: Chito

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Reactions: fogdart

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Comes with the territory of being a mod, does it not? :unsure: :whistle:
Responding to reports does. Constantly getting email alerts does not. Other than Scammer alerts I've never seen a report that warranted "immediate" reaction. Most of them come from people with an agenda. PM's are the best method for dealing with scammers, as noted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts