The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We continue to be targeted by scammers in both the WTB and For Sale categories. When dealing with a new member with no history please use extreme caution. We recently banned a new user "mmk7" following an alert from a member suspecting a scam. This guy claimed to have the guitar our member was looking for but when questioned more specifically to provide proof he eventually disappeared. We banned him as soon as we heard but it wasn't quickly enough and another member looks to have lost some money to this guy. He has since tried to rejoin twice to my knowledge under different user names but has so far been stopped both times.

Things to watch for, questions to ask.

1. Someone who just joined.
2. Someone demanding payment by EMT only.
3. Someone avoiding supplying pics of the item in question.
4. Someone unwilling to provide other references.
5. Someone willing to lower the price dramatically for cash or EMT.

I'm sure there are other flags, be careful out there.

If you suspect someone please bring it to our attention as soon as possible.

· Registered
491 Posts
1. Caveat emptor
I had to look that up.lol...
Its nice to see people looking out for stuff like this.Ive only made a few transactions via this site and they were positive ones.I recently did a trade with a member and offered to send my pedal first if it eased his mind.Not something i would normally do but was pretty confident based on his rep/history here..

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was DM'd by this person for my WTB amp thread. They joined and messaged me at 2 hrs as a member. I blocked and ignored them. Should I have forwarded it to you Dave?

Sorry someone lost money.
Yes, please alert one of the mods when this happens. We'll look into it and ban them when appropriate.

Reactions: nbs2005

· Premium Member
322 Posts
I had a scam attempt from a richwill262 a couple weeks back but it looks like he has now been banned. Second day as a member he said he had a friend with the item i wanted and then sent the friend's email address. Knowing how long someone has been a member for makes a big difference as well as being able to see their activity.

· Premium Member
741 Posts
On some other forums I'm on, in order to post a FS or FT ad you have to include a picture of the item with your user name and date written on a post it or piece of paper etc. The WTB case is different, but I would at least ask for something similar before even thinking of proceeding with a newer forum member. The vast majority of posters (even the new ones) are cool folks and make this place great but only you can prevent forest fires.

· Premium Member
5,801 Posts
Like this might be suspicious.

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Premium Member
17,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can members who aren't approved to post in the For Sale section still able to access it? Because that would be incredibly stupid.
Anyone who visits this site, member or not, can read anything. They can't reply to a thread or start a conversation without joining. There are restrictions on posting in the for sale section but not anywhere else, also not on contacting other members

1 - 20 of 105 Posts