The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That has to be the best live mix I've ever heard, at any sized venue. Just amazing, Warren and Derek just tore the roof off the place. Warrens tone was rapturous, and Derek's wasn't far behind, just a bit brighter. They covered The Sky is Crying, and it was smokin, best song of the night. Don't write the ABB off as a washed up band for old guys (like me), those 2 guitarists have breathed new life into the Brothers, go see them if u get the chance. You'll thank 'ol Demon, believe me..

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
I was there myself. I have to concurr the sound was amazing, really top notch. While I did not think it was the best I've seen them, it was still very good. In large part thanks the Greg Allman's voice and Derek Trucks playing. Oh My God that young man is from another planet !!!!!! I have seen him several times with the Allman's and with his own band and he just keeps getting better and better. The rhythm section and the bass player are unbelievable. Just like a machine. I was wondering if Warren might have been under the weather though, as he did not sing much and I found his playing, while a high level of competent, at a lower level than what I've come to expect from Mr. Haynes.
Really worth the drive to Rama though.

Pete

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, if that was an off nite for Warren, I might go into convulsions on a good one. I actually thought he was better than Trucks in tone, and playing. Trucks' slide technique is very ..odd?, takes some getting used to. I guess I enjoyed Warren's more tradition playing. You say Tomauto, I say Tomato , either way is was great show!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I was there too(the show on the 31st). It was pretty damn good if you ask me. My friend who went with me said it wasn't as good as the last time he saw them. I can only imagine how great that show must have been.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
I may have been at a different night than you guys. I went to the second show Aug 1.
Here is a couple of pix from backstage. My good friend Ronnie met Derek and Oteil hanging around the reserve on Wednesday afternoon. They hung out for awhile and Derek put him on the guest list. Some guys have all the luck.
Derek and Jaimo were having a drink at the same bar we were at after the show but we didn't talk to them. They had enough people trying to engage them in conversation already.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts