The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Satin/Matte Clear Coat in Rattle Cans

610 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  THRobinson 
#1 ·
I decided to do a Washburn I've been working on, in Chrysler's 'Intense Blue Pearl' which looks real nice, and I can go to Canadian Tire and buy it pre-made in that Dupli-Colour Perfect Match paint.

Thing is, I want a satin/matte finish. I know, some people just paint it gloss and sand it to 2000 grit or something, but from what I've read, it's better to use a matte finish clear instead.

I contacted Dupli-Color who makes the paint, which is an acrylic lacquer, but they don't make a matte clear in the acrylic lacquer... only enamel I believe. From what I've heard, if you paint with a certain type of paint, you should use the same type as a clear coat. Otherwise mixing types can cause issues.

I had a side mirror I painted once, came out perfect... for about a year, then turned into dried orange peel. I suspect I mixed types. :)

Anyways... looking to see if anyone knows of a brand that makes matte clear acrylic lacquer... or I guess, if a place to get the blue I want mixed as enamel... or a 3rd option.

Only local place that mixes in rattle cans is CarQuest, and the guy said it's also acrylic lacquer.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.