The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of finding an ES-335, and one of the models I am considering is the satin finished one. Since I have never owned a satin finished guitar, is there anything I need to know about that finish?

I assume it picks up fingerprints and other marks very easily, might not be easy to clean, and probably dents easier than a nitro finished Gibson - but is there anything else I should be aware of?

I did have a faded Les Paul Traditional, which I assume had a finish similar to the satin 335s, and really liked it but am not sure how similar the two finishes would actually be so don't want to make assumptions based on that guitar.

This is the model that I am looking at:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-335-Satin-Sunset-Burst.aspx

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
IME, some satin finishes get shiny where you rub them while playing. The shiny parts become obvious, especially under stage lights.

It doesn't happen immediately, it takes some time. And it takes some elbow grease to clean them and get them back to satin. I'd like to know if there's an easier way, besides just trying not to touch them anywhere but the fretboard. And that would lead to the 'old dog, new tricks' quagmire for me.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I have a few acoustics that came with satin finish on the neck - they became gloss from one end to the other in a month or two which is fine by me.

Also have an acoustic with a satin top; it became gloss pretty fast on the spots were there’s a lot of contact. It is what it is and doesn’t detract from the appearance imo.

I suppose that a gloss finish would remain status quo longer than a satin finish but they are gonna get relic’d one way or another.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If it's the same finish as what's on my SG and Melody Maker than I can say I've found it really easy to keep clean so far. The only issue I have had with it so far is the finish is really easy to chip, scrape and dent when compared to a gloss nitro finish.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks. Now I just have to figure out if $2299 is a decent price for one of these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts