The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... have a guitar I want to paint satin black, and been looking on forums for examples of what people have done and more often than not I find a cool guitar with no paint info, or paint info but can't find the paint.

Saw a few Krylon Rust Tough satin black examples, contacted Krylon because could not find it locally, and even Krylon said best of luck, it's hard to find in Canada. :confused:

Been looking at Krylon, Rustoleum, and the like... but I don't know what 'type' would work best for a guitar... like acrylic, enamel, epoxy based, etc... and of course, readily available in Canada (ie. Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Rona).

Anyone have any feedback regarding good, tough satin-black rattlecan paint for a guitar? and I guess primer?

... Also, other project after this... Sherwood Green Metallic, for that '59 Strat look. Anyone know where I can get one that matches the aged look? Since original ones would have yellowed a bit by now. Looking online, colours have lots of variation it seems, some way too dark/blue. I'd like to get as close to this one as possible... hoping to do an 'aged' strat this Fall... well, Squier.

http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/ZoomJpg/10002/0111600846_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

·
Registered
759 Posts
First, I would use a satin varnish/lacquer over any black paint. If you leave the black paint bare, every finger touching the surface will show a greasy/shiny stain.
Second, I would look into car paint at your local parts store or body shop.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Personally I think Krylon has the best paint. It takes longer to cure, (about a week) dry to touch much sooner.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was eyeing up the Rustoleum products, though some say semi-gloss and some say satin... I'm after satin not semi-gloss (yup there is a difference) but not sure if Rustoleum interchanged the words for the same thing or not.

Auto General Purpose Paints Automotive Enamel Product Page Product Page

Acrylic Enamel 2X

And this one, that has a satin canyon black
http://www.rustoleum.ca/product-cat...rs-touch-ultra-cover-2x/ultra-cover-2x-paint/

So... it's better to get black then spray on a satin clear coat? vs using a paint that is satin and requires no clear?

and KRYLON customer service recommended
TOUGH COAT® Acrylic Enamel - Krylon Industrial

as well as
Krylon® SUPERMAXX® ALL-IN-ONE | Krylon

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Try industrial supply houses for krylon (Brafasco, Fastenal, Ackland grainger etc)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, Krylon said Ackland for the Tough Coat, because no one else around here carries it. Though for it, it would be paint no clear coat afterwards.

If I can avoid the oily finger print effect, I'd rather option B, whichever that is... DuPont auto paint from Canadian Tire?

Though, I see 'industrial' and I think this is gonna be some tough rugged paint, or, Krylon marketing and no better/tougher than anything else.

I don't plan to beat on the guitar, just, don't want stuff in a year to start flaking off.

·
Mad Strappier
530 Posts
I took this black strat and scuffed up the clearcoat with a scotchbright pad.
It's pretty flat now. But yes, fingerprints are pain on it as much as a gloss guitar

back skew.jpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan to scotch pad all the chrome parts actually... I'm kind "anti-gloss" or "anti-shine" for a lot of stuff. :D

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Actually, Krylon said Ackland for the Tough Coat, because no one else around here carries it. Though for it, it would be paint no clear coat afterwards.

If I can avoid the oily finger print effect, I'd rather option B, whichever that is... DuPont auto paint from Canadian Tire?

Though, I see 'industrial' and I think this is gonna be some tough rugged paint, or, Krylon marketing and no better/tougher than anything else.

I don't plan to beat on the guitar, just, don't want stuff in a year to start flaking off.
Any paint needs a tooth or it will flake or scratch to the base. Gloss Tremclad is really tough once dry. You could use it and wet sand after a few weeks. It's an alkyd base so no super harsh solvents. I've used acrylics that dried super hard, but I'd be making sure you have good surface prep and a decent compatible primer

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
To me the easiest fastest way is lacquer, if you're going black I'd use a black primer, black top coat and finish with a clear in whatever sheen you prefer.

Richelieu carries Mohawk and Steeles Paint carries Dover Pad, both brands make compatible primers and top coats.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't think chrome will be affected by Scotch Brite pads. I would wet sand it. But some parts are to intricate to get everything sanded.

Maybe a chemical could age it. Anybody ?

To me the easiest fastest way is lacquer, if you're going black I'd use a black primer, black top coat and finish with a clear in whatever sheen you prefer.

Richelieu carries Mohawk and Steeles Paint carries Dover Pad, both brands make compatible primers and top coats.
That

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
For Krylon I would go for the Gloss Black Laquer paint, and then give it a few coats of Krylon Matte Finish to suit how dull you want it. Then whatever protective coating you want on top of that if necessary

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Another option, which I always forget about is to go to Napa or Carquest and ask them to make you a can of spray paint. They can make it any color of any car on the market. You can get it mixed with clear coat or without. I'm sure you can ask for semi gloss or matte finish as well. 20 bucks a can last time I checked. And if I am not mistaken it will be a lacquer paint as well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found this tonight actually... though, raised 2 questions... 1) if I want to use a satin clear, do I have to use a satin paint? or would gloss work better? and 2) when done, can I wet sand the clear or the black between coats, because I have no experience with this and know I'll have ripples and/or orange peel.

@BGood - Yup... check it out on google image search, lots of people showing before/after of chrome being satin'd with those scotchbrite pads.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah... Gibson Satin Ebony... saw a guitar with a paint job I wanted, was on the tip of my tongue what it was, was one of those Gibson SG Goth guitars, and I guess the paint is called Satin Ebony.

That would be what I'm after in the end.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts