The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. And I did not know that there is still one Sam the Recordman store still left.
There is only one Sam's left,... in Bellville, On. The iconic sign was considered historical, so when Ryerson bought the property to expand the campus, they were obligated to display and maintain the sign. It's been down since 2008. But sticking it on top of the Public Health Building at Victoria and Dundas E. just doesn't do it justice IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
I worked next door at A&A's in the early seventies.

Even tho A&A was owned by CBS and actually much bigger than Sam's nation-wide, I always envied that iconic sign. A real classic piece of canadiana!

Sam was the man. A&A was corporate bullshit.

Lots of free tickets to Massey Hall, Convocation Hall and Maple Leaf Gardens, tho. Thanks CBS.

·
Premium Member
26,343 Posts
Cool. And I did not know that there is still one Sam the Recordman store still left.
There is a bit of a battle going on between the owner of that Sam's in Belleville and the Province. Business-owners are permitted to put signs by the highway pointing to the direction/location of their business IF the business has some sort of touristic or historic value, or is part of a general availability (like those signs that show a half-dozen eateries near the exit/entrance ramp to the highway. Last Sam the Record Man store wants to be designated a tourist attraction | Metro Toronto

The Sam's owner is arguing that, as the very last instance of what used to be a national chain, it has historic/touristic significance, and should be able to plunk a sign on the 401. The province views it as just another business, and tantamount to having a highway sign indicating that there is a Source, Sobey's, or Moore's nearby.

We always stop off at Quinte Mall on the way to Orillia every year, and there is often a brief venture into that Sam's as part of it. It may not have the legendary 3rd floor, but it is every bit as jam-packed and chaotic as the former Yonge St. location.

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
There is a bit of a battle going on between the owner of that Sam's in Belleville and the Province. Business-owners are permitted to put signs by the highway pointing to the direction/location of their business IF the business has some sort of touristic or historic value, or is part of a general availability (like those signs that show a half-dozen eateries near the exit/entrance ramp to the highway. Last Sam the Record Man store wants to be designated a tourist attraction | Metro Toronto

The Sam's owner is arguing that, as the very last instance of what used to be a national chain, it has historic/touristic significance, and should be able to plunk a sign on the 401. The province views it as just another business, and tantamount to having a highway sign indicating that there is a Source, Sobey's, or Moore's nearby.

We always stop off at Quinte Mall on the way to Orillia every year, and there is often a brief venture into that Sam's as part of it. It may not have the legendary 3rd floor, but it is every bit as jam-packed and chaotic as the former Yonge St. location.
What takes you to Orillia every year?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
well at least it's going up somewhere prominent...where else would be a better spot for it?

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Ryerson??
its great that schools have overcome their budgetary constraints. looking forward to tuitions going down by the time my daughter goes to university.

kidding aside, this seems more like something a millionaire douche like Michael Wekerle would/should do, unless the students were performing the restoration work themselves for course credit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts