The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to learn the repair/setup/mod stuff on YouTube so I will only have to ask questions when I am really stuck on something.

So I have been watching a lot of Sam Deeks videos and I was wondering what the members here thought of his philosophy/techniques?

Sam Deeks

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Most of the videos are very long! However, good for you for taking time to learn.
You might also enjoy some of these when you tire of Mr. Deeks.
stewartmacdonald

How is the soldering progressing?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the videos are very long! However, good for you for taking time to learn.
You might also enjoy some of these when you tire of Mr. Deeks.
stewartmacdonald
Thanks. Yeah I have been binge-watching him, but it is like a full time job lol.

How is the soldering progressing?
Well, I haven't got my soldering station yet, so not too much action there. However I have a patient. The neck position Single coil isn't loud enough. I haven't put a meter om it yet, but I realize that the soldering is going to be pretty precision gig in some situations. Here is what I am looking at...yikes! lol

wiring.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
The neck position Single coil isn't loud enough.
Are you comparing the single coil to a humbucker?
Typically, a humbucker will always be louder.

Is the single coil putting out next to no sound at all?
What are you hoping to do/measure from an electronics perspective?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you comparing the single coil to a humbucker?
Typically, a humbucker will always be louder.
No, I am comparing it to the other single coil.

Is the single coil putting out next to no sound at all?
>>>I think that is fair to say.

What are you hoping to do/measure from an electronics perspective?
I don't really know what I am doing, so I thought I would begin with continuity. Then maybe compare the Ω of the two single coils. I need to get up to speed on troubleshooting, just trying to get a head start.

Thanks for your interest.:)

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
I don't really know what I am doing, so I thought I would begin with continuity. Then maybe compare the Ω of the two single coils. I need to get up to speed on troubleshooting, just trying to get a head start.
Good starting point.

Learning hoe to do continuity testing will always pay off through time.

Keep us updated with your progress.

You might just have a "cold" solder joint...have you run into that term/description yet?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good starting point.

Learning hoe to do continuity testing will always pay off through time.
I used to be an electrician so I have done circuit troubleshooting before, but I don't know anything about electronics, at least practically. I did take it in electrical school a thousand years ago. I got a .pdf by Dan Erlewine (I think that is his name) and I think there are wiring diagrams in there I can look at.

Keep us updated with your progress.
Thx I will.

You might just have a "cold" solder joint...have you run into that term/description yet?
No, but it looks like there are about 10 or more wires in one big blob of solder on the pot. I could see it being an issue lol

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
No, I am comparing it to the other single coil.

Thanks for your interest.:)
Continuity may not actually work in terms of the multimeter setting for that (unless maybe there's a shorted coil, in which case it will give you the wrong idea). The reason being that the continuity setting only returns a positive (makes the noise) if the R is < 200ish Ohms max (depends on meter - I have one where contunuity is <10 and one where the 200 Ohm and continuity are the same setting).

A single coil will be at least several k - like 4-9k. Humbukers are, obviously, 2 of those in series so double that range (give or take in this day and age where they wind things crazy hot or crazy low for various reasons - e.g. so it matches up nice with a tele bridge pup). So in addition to continuity maybe not telling you much, the R of the 2 single coils will not necessarily be that close (and is not a reliable indicator of which is louder all by itself unless all other factors, e.g. coil wire gauge and # of winds, are known and identical).

What continuity is great for is checking that switches work (or figuring out which tab on a switch is which), cable testing, ground testing etc. Anything where you expect to find conductivity but little to no resistance.

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Continuity may not actually work in terms of the multimeter setting for that (unless maybe there's a shorted coil, in which case it will give you the wrong idea). The reason being that the continuity setting only returns a positive (makes the noise) if the R is < 200ish Ohms max (depends on meter - I have one where continuity is <10 and one where the 200 Ohm and continuity are the same setting).
Maybe you're right; just sayin.

Excellent information about continuity testing and the reasons that it could be misleading/ not functional.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for the input. I haven't really had a chance to do much, but I looked at the circuit a bit and even though it is a bit of a rat's nest it looks like everything is wired to a common point on the volume pot, with a wire running to the tremelo as a ground.

It is pretty easy to follow except when they bring the tone control into the circuit. There is a capacitor in the circuit which I expected, but the tone control is push/pull and I am not sure what it does. I thought it might split the coil on the HB, but it doesn't look like it. I can meter it out when I dig in.

For continuity I was just going to use it to check the wiring/connections of the controls. I have a Fluke, I think it has a decent scale selection. A shorted coil would reveal itself in the R check would it not?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Hey Greco check this out. Pretty cool idea.
I like it! ...Nice find and thanks for sharing.
Like a "ground bus" concept.
I solder the terminal to the back of the pots using a wire as it is...so this is cool.

I used to bend the terminals and solder them to the back of the pot...until I soldered the wrong terminal and then broke it off at the base trying to bring it back to the original 'configuration'.

The approach in your video link is one of those simple things that make me wonder why I didn't think of it. I am old enough to have invented the (simple) wheel and I missed that one also...LOL

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for the input. I haven't really had a chance to do much, but I looked at the circuit a bit and even though it is a bit of a rat's nest it looks like everything is wired to a common point on the volume pot, with a wire running to the tremelo as a ground.

It is pretty easy to follow except when they bring the tone control into the circuit. There is a capacitor in the circuit which I expected, but the tone control is push/pull and I am not sure what it does. I thought it might split the coil on the HB, but it doesn't look like it. I can meter it out when I dig in.

For continuity I was just going to use it to check the wiring/connections of the controls. I have a Fluke, I think it has a decent scale selection. A shorted coil would reveal itself in the R check would it not?
I was away all day yesterday and missed this post.

Have fun sorting out the push-pull pots! Those gave me a lot of grief in the past and I have avoided them ever since. My good friend, @laristotle saved my bacon and brought me back to a full recovery. We have laughed about it several times since..but it was brutal when we were trying to sort them out.

Yes, AFAIK, a shorted coil would be be seen on an R check.

Flukes are like the Gibsons of DMMs..mine is a cough ...Radio Shack...cough

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like it! ...Nice find and thanks for sharing.
Like a "ground bus" concept. I solder the terminal to the back of the pots using a wire as it is...so this is cool.
No problem, I thought it was a good idea too.

I used to bend the terminals and solder them to the back of the pot...until I soldered the wrong terminal and then broke it off at the base trying to bring it back to the original 'configuration'.
Whoops... ;-)

The approach in your video link is one of those simple things that make me wonder why I didn't think of it. I am old enough to have invented the (simple) wheel and I missed that one also...LOL
lol well wisdom doesn't always come with age...it certainly didn't in my case. ;-)

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was away all day yesterday and missed this post.
No problem.

Have fun sorting out the push-pull pots! Those gave me a lot of grief in the past and I have avoided them ever since.
Hmmmm....maybe I will get lucky and find that the pull function is turning down the volume on my low vol single coil...lol yeah probably.

My good friend, @laristotle saved my bacon and brought me back to a full recovery. We have laughed about it several times since..but it was brutal when we were trying to sort them out.
Misery loves company. It is always a good thing when a friend is there to help us laugh through....near tragedy.

Yes, AFAIK, a shorted coil would be be seen on an R check.
Yeah for sure.

Flukes are like the Gibsons of DMMs..mine is a cough ...Radio Shack...cough
LOL...Well, I was an industrial electrician for a while and a decent meter was...supplied by the company. Radio Shack....I remember them ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts