The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old SG copy from the '60s... has odd sized screws for the pickguard. I have new nickel ones but the heads are way bigger. Plus, I'd like to re-use them because naturally relic'd.

They're brown... not rotted away corroded but definitely rusted and brown, and being smaller than regular pickguard screws, I'm concerned they'll snap when being removed.

I have a screw remover/extractor for broken screws, so not the end of the world. Used a few times on another guitar and worked great. But, are there any tricks to help avoid it from happening? I debated some penetrating oil, but also debated how it will affect the wood for when it comes time to put the screws back in.

Ideas? Tricks?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
When I read your subject line, I honestly thought this was about a grocery store chain (Safeway) that was going to stop selling a particular product (rusty screws)! LMAO

TG

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kids LOVE rusty screws for breakfast! :)

So, screws in wood won't rust in place? I have to disagree with that given the reason I had to buy that screw extractor in the first place.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You could try putting a screwdriver in the head of the screw and then giving it a little tap with a hammer,not too hard,just enough to 'break the seal' if they they are rusted in place.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Kids LOVE rusty screws for breakfast! :)

So, screws in wood won't rust in place? I have to disagree with that given the reason I had to buy that screw extractor in the first place.
Pickguard screws? They're so short I can't imagine it. I've worked on some pretty nasty/rusted up guitars and snapping off pickguard screws has never been an issue in my experience, it's not like a metal screw in a metal hole where the two can become bonded by corrosion. But hey, everyone's experience is different and if you've run into that then proceed as necessary.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya... we had a Yamaha body, that was found at the curb... no neck or bridge, but had the back plate and pickups, and half were so rusty and stuck the heads broke off with 0 effort.

This, not nearly as bad... but the screws appear to be 25% smaller than the screws you normally get for pickguards. If they break... fixing isn't hard, but finding screws to match, not finding anything oddly. Will probably have to make the holes in the guard bigger and go up to 'regular' size screws.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
Mojo Axe for relic parts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sideways vibrato is pretty cool... but nothing about smaller screws. Will have to hunt at the hardware stores to see what's around, if mine break. Though rather get nickel which I know won't be at Cdn Tire or Home Hardware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts