The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Taylor 310 LE and the "G" string keeps breaking at the saddle. Should I file it and if so, with what or should I replace the saddle and can I do that myself?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.:food-smiley-015:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I guess to answer your question properly I would need to know if it's breaking on the front, top or back of the saddle. If it's breaking on the back side of the saddle have at it. It will likely only take a couple passes with a fine file or some light sanding to eliminate a sharp edge. If it's breaking on the top or front of the saddle the solution is the same but if you have to do more than a little filing or sanding to get rid of a sharp area you will alter your intonation a little. The solution to this is to file or sand the whole saddle the same amount and then adjust your neck to get your intonation back to where it shuld be. I would think, however, that the small amount that you would need to file or sand to soften a sharp edge would not likely affect your intonation enough to even notice.

Good luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is this a bone saddle or the Stock Taylor Tusq?? I've never had issues with a stock Taylor Tusq saddle, however if you are using Elixir lights for medium to moderately heavy strumming, there is your answer. Elixirs are known for chronic G-string breakage. I've experienced it more times than enough. Go with DM Alchemy strings or D'addario EXP. They sound 90% as good in my opinion and the G string doesn't break.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts