The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serves them right. Perennial and systemic cheaters. About time!

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, those that have never tested positive can compete. So there won't be very many, if any at all. But if they win anything, it won't be for Russia, it'll be as an independent non-national.

A Canadian weightlifter (Christine Gerard, I think) it still waiting for her medal after a Russian was stripped of it after testing positive.

This, to me, goes back to them bringing a professional hockey team to the amateur Olympic tournament year after year. And then bragging about their pros beating all those amateurs. They didn't rate so well when it was pros against pros, did they?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think if they have been proven to compete clean, they may be allowed to compete under the Olympic banner.
But I guess that's the crux of it isn't it? Institutionalized, state sponsored doping for results and done in a way they wouldn't/shouldn't get caught. In such a system, there will be athletes who doped but never tested positive. You can't rely just on who has already been caught unless the Russians turn over a list of athletes that they knowingly doped (which will never happen). I don't think the ban goes far enough.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
At least now Canada will have a chance in hockey. if all the KHL players formed a team, they would be pretty tough to beat.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I guess the IOC doesn't like when another organization is as corrupt as they are.
might just be me but justice doesn't feel so satisfying when its doled out by a cop on the take.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
At least now Canada will have a chance in hockey. if all the KHL players formed a team, they would be pretty tough to beat.
I'm not sure anyone will care though. this will be an interesting test of our nations love of the sport.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I'm not sure anyone will care though. this will be an interesting test of our nations love of the sport.
Yeah, its going to hold as much interest as the Spengler Cup. I loved the Olympic hockey as it was a great contest with the best players in the world.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
What is the protocol if a designated "independent non-national" wins a medal? Safe to assume the national anthem of their country is not played and no flag is raised? I ask because I can't recall the last time a non-national won anything. Not saying they never have. I just don't remember.

And what's the protocol for the opening ceremony? Do all the independents come as a group and march around the stadium with some sort of neutral flag?

Of course, whatever happens under the eye of the IOC at the Olympics will be separate from whatever happens after. I doubt there is anything that the IOC could do to prevent or stop the Russian government from celebrating any of their "independent" athletes who won a medal, having televised ceremonies, etc.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Oh I expected it had happened. I just didn't know what the protocol was, because it doesn't happen all that often.. I wonder who was commissioned to compose the Olympic anthem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts