The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across this online earlier tonight...
Was anybody here in attendance?
(Hey it is possible given the age & location of some of our members)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Did they pay them in chocolates after the gig? Made me want to put on my old platforms. I'll bet the St. Catherine's pawn shops moved a whack of guitars in the month after the show.Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
I went to that school, but years later. I was 8 years old in 1974.

One of my best friends was there, though. If you watch the footage of this on the documentary, he's front and centre in the opening shot of the segment.

Some of my older siblings are probably there too. They can't remember......
My sister does tell a story about how RUSH lost a battle of the bands here in town to a local band. I don't know how true it is but the logic was that the local band had more crowd support and that makes sense.

I remember when some of my younger friends was cleaning out some junk stored in the lighting room of the auditorium and found pictures taken of the show from there.

This is one, I am told.
Vehicle Stage Ship Watercraft Crew

·
Premium Member
6,502 Posts
They were pretty polished, even in 1974. Must have been the "cream" players of that area. There is a good reason why they succeeded.

·
Premium Member
12,249 Posts
Saw Rush in '75 with Thundermug opening, London. Frankly, at least Thundermug was fun, Rush was a huge pompous suck, not tight, not spirited at all.

I've watched a lot of Rush concert video on DVD in recent years and they are terrific. It's almost hard to believe they got that much better.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
I was at the Collegiate in St. Kitts at that time. I don't think Rush ever played there but we did have a lot of great Canadian bands pass through the school auditorium. Lighthouse, April Wine, Thundermug, Crowbar, Fludd, Doucette off the top of my head - and I'm sure I'm missing out some great ones.

I don't think they do that kind of thing in high schools anymore.

·
Premium Member
17,456 Posts
Is that John Rutsey or Peart?

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
Is that John Rutsey or Peart?
Originally they had a different bass player too. Last name was "Jones" IIRC. He went on to do "Put your hand in the hand of the man" as well as work with Red Ryder. Can you imagine Rush with out Peart and Lee? I can't.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Originally they had a different bass player too. Last name was "Jones" IIRC. He went on to do "Put your hand in the hand of the man" as well as work with Red Ryder. Can you imagine Rush with out Peart and Lee? I can't.
Yeah, that happened just before or around the time they started calling themselves RUSH. Like, "can we play your basement party" era.

They always call Neil "The New Guy" but Alex is the only original member.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
St. Catharines with an a, not an e.

Sorry. It's a huge peeve for many that live here. :)
Sorry man, no offence intended to you or your community. And to think I'm a geography major!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have learned something new today!

·
Registered
15,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
St. Catharines with an a, not an e.

Sorry. It's a huge peeve for many that live here. :)
I had to take a look at the thread title & see if I got it wrong--but then I copied & pasted from the video name.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts