The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

If you ride do you obey the law?

• No

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • I don't obey the law in my car what would I obey the law on a bicycle?

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • All cyclists deserve to die for holding up traffic

Votes: 5 14.7%
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my name is Gary787 and I admit I run stop signs and red lights'on my bicycle. Now to be clear I do slow down and make sure the way is safe but there is rarely a complete stop. I am a very experienced rider, I ride a lot, I am a chronic violator.

To be fair very few people in their cars stop. If you ride a bike you know cars treat stop signs as a suggestion. Drivers run yellow/red lights all day long. It is very dangerous as a pedestrian or cyclist.

Now the reason for the thread. I was riding from Hamilton to Toronto. I took Lakeshore Road it's always a nice ride. As usual I slow down but run all stop signs and red lights. Mr. Toughguy in a giant urban pick up truck took acception and decided to pull ahead almost hitting me with his mirror, stop in front of me almost causing me to hit his truck.He jumped out (I honestly was expecting violence) He told me I was a stupid inconsiderate law breaking prick (blah blah blah) and then it happened, I laughed at him. I tried not to. I then asked if his name was Colchar (I actually thought it might be he's from the GTAA now that would have been funny)
The event ended and he left with not much more to say other then a couple more insults. Shortly a cop passes me with lights flashing! Not too far up the road up the road the cops had Mr. Nasty pulled over. They waved me down. I guess another driver saw the exchange and thought there was violence. I told the cop I had never seen the guy before. In a few minutes I was on my way. Oddly I didn't get a thank you.

I rode the rest of the way to T.O. without stopping at red lights or stop signs. I took the GO train back just in case;)

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Bicycles on roads are vehicles and are governed by the same laws and road rules as other vehicles. If you break those laws (and survive), you should be penalized exactly like any other vehicle.

My personal philosophy to keep my blood pressure under control as a driver is a) I give a bicyclist benefit of the doubt that they will follow the rules, b) if they do, I follow all my rules relating to bicycles (full lane treatment, standard right of way rules, etc.), c) if I see the bicyclist break the rule, particularly repeatedly, I adopt the attitude that they simply don’t exist.

Think about whom besides myself may have adopted a similar philosophy when you break road rules, OP. And whom will have a much much worse response to your behaviour.

OP represents about 80% of bicyclists on the road in most of Ontario and 100% in Toronto. YOU ARE the reason drivers have no respect for bicycles.

The other guy was hot, and over-reacted, but when you get killed on your bike, you will be 100% responsible based on your behaviour.

·
Premium Member
17,202 Posts
I blew threw stop signs growing up. I also grew up in a town of less than 5,000 with no lights until someone died as a result of a traffic accident on the (4)17. The times I have ridden in this city, I was very conscientious of drivers and IIRC stuck to sidewalks to avoid any issues.

I currently have a non-functioning bike that I can't afford (nor desire) to repair, and a want to ride the trails in the area.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
3 posts but didn't vote...

i told the truth. i treat stop signs and more of a suggestion than a command. i don't blow through them, but i only make a full stop if i see a cop. if i'm in a parking garage, and there are no cars on this floor, and i can clearly see no one is anywhere on this floor, i don't even bother slowing down at the pedestrian crossing. i like to imagine there's a baby carriage in the crosswalk when i do that, except there's a monkey dressed as a baby in there

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Actually the thing that pisses me off equally as much as the OP in his own story is the cop. He should have ticketed the OP for all the violations and it sounds like there was enough there to impound the bike. Until the rules are fully enforced, all the hoopla about bicyclists being killed on roads is just empty words and hot air not worthy of attention or respect. When bicycles follow the laws and rules, and those are enforced, then let’s start to talk about road safety and respectful road sharing. I am not holding my breath.

Regarding poll voting, I didn’t (and don’t) even know that this has a poll. Tapatalk doesn’t give you any hints about that.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Here in Montreal. Seems cyclist have more rights to the road and none respect any law. Car drivers are being penalised here. I say that cyclists should pay for a licence, get a driving permit for they'e bikes and lose points for not respecting the rules ..

That should start to fix part of the problems.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
To be clear I don't blow through signs and lights. If it's clear I just proceed.
I would say most motorists break more rules then any cyclist.
It's really rare when I see a car stop at a stop sign. Check yourself and see if you stop.
I can't reach the speed limit because I am too old and weak but I also think that people driving the speed limit piss other motorists off more then a cyclist does.
I get all the respect I need riding on the road. Most drivers understand the consequences of getting too impatient. There are some angry people but even then they wait when necessary and sometimes give the sign that I thinks means I'm number 1.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I would say most motorists break more rules then any cyclist.
I get that your two posts are 25% tongue in cheek, but that comment is pure, unadulterated horseshit (I am not even going to say “with all due respect”). There are plenty of bad drivers, but COMPARED to cyclists in Ontario (and it sounds like elsewhere as well), drivers are bastions of law abiding citizenry.

·
Registered
24,737 Posts
I get that your two posts are 25% tongue in cheek, but that comment is pure, unadulterated horseshit (I am not even going to say “with all due respect”). There are plenty of bad drivers, but COMPARED to cyclists in Ontario (and it sounds like elsewhere as well), drivers are bastions of law abiding citizenry.
It's a quandry, to be sure. Much of most cities is designed without any consideration of the very existence of cyclists, and sometimes even pedestrians. So in some respects, it's difficult to expect cyclists to adhere to a strict codeof conduct when the roads and rivers treat them as some sort of inconvenient anomaly, rather than a constituency that should adhere to a set of clear guidelines in clear context.

But respect and compliance is a two-way street. Hard to expect adherence to a code by drivers if they see blatant non-adherence from cyclists, or a specific cyclist Doesn't mean any party deserves to have something bad happen to them. But if a driver sees a cyclist cutting corners; sometimes behaving like a pedestrian, sometimes like a car driver, whenever the cyclist feels that being one brings more advantages than being the other, you can'texpect them to feel any sense of obligation to do everything they're supposed to do for cyclists By the same token, if you want people to follow any set of rules, you gotta make it easy for them. And that means real bike lanes that take you from here to there, nd not leave you high and dry after 2 blocks.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Sometimes I feel that I'm the only cyclist in Toronto that stops for reds and streetcar doors. I will admit that I probably do the chicago stop at stop signs most of the time, but unlike most other cyclists that's when I can see that there's nothing there; blind intersection or busy (all way) then I will do a proper stop. To be fair, cars blow through stop signs faster than me (even on blind corners, like the one I live on); that's a much bigger concern.

My main issue is cyclists failing to even slow down (never mind actually checking for oncoming traffic) on their red, making a right turn right on top of me going straight through my green, as well as cyclists on the wrong side of the road thinking I should go around them on the left (when I can't see if there's anyone coming up behind and no time to shoulder check due to head-on risk; they can see if it's clear or not cause they're already facing that way). That was the last time I got into a fight, some fookin ponce coming at me wrong way in rush our like I'm gonna risk it and go around.

No, no they are not. Motorists not only break they law as much (especially as regards right of way - who here actually stays in the right lane when they make a right turn vs going straight into the left lane etc?), but also the potential consequences of car drivers flouting the rules are much higher (to be fair, I am not one of those delusional cyclists who believes it is only my own life I am risking; a cyclist can kill too, if usually indirectly, vs directly like a car can). I can't tell you how many times motorists have taken my life for granted for no good reason; how many times idiots have nearly killed me and the only reason I am alive is because I keep my wits about me (I bike to work all year, for the last decade +; never a single incident, but too many close calls, and I'm no Sunday driver lemme assure you- I like to go fast, within the bounds of reason and safety).

All groups are pretty much equally shitty.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I am a cyclist in the city of Toronto and one of the many that does obey traffic regulations so please don't paint us all with the same brush. Drivers in Toronto can be just as reckless as some of the cyclists I have seen. I myself have been struck by a car over half a dozen times and am lucky enough to still be able to ride, but with greater attention to the automobiles around me.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I am a cyclist in the city of Toronto and one of the many that does obey traffic regulations so please don't paint us all with the same brush. Drivers in Toronto can be just as reckless as some of the cyclists I have seen. I myself have been struck by a car over half a dozen times and am lucky enough to still be able to ride, but with greater attention to the automobiles around me.
I don’t live in TO, but when I visit, I have never seen a cyclist there that didn’t break at least 5 traffic laws every minute. So perhaps you’re not one of them, but there are definitely not many of you there, or at least so few that you’re almost entirely unnoticeable as such. Sorry. Get your brethren to behave better and then maybe that perception will change, but not until then — obviously they are not your brethren and obviously you can’t change other cyclists’ behaviour any more than I can change other drivers’ behaviours, so there we are.

But the OP and other similar posters here surely demonstrate that I am not completely wrong in my perception.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
By the way, I hope it is clear that I am not actually saying all or even most drivers are actually good. I only said that IN COMPARISON to cyclist, but certainly not in absolute terms.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Try driving 100 kmh on the 401 in Ontario. You won't even get a ticket unless your going 120+. Cities are making millions off of red light cameras because an amber light now means speed up not prepare to stop. I know there are some drivers who stop sometimes at stop signs. I actually do try but I'm obviously and admittedly not perfect.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Why should cyclists have to follow the same rules as automobiles?
I think rolling stops are acceptable and if traffic and the lane is clear, no stop at all.
Cyclists have a lot more to lose.
I stopped riding road bike a few years ago, too many drivers on the road who have no clue about how deadly the car they drive is.
I think it should be mandatory driving instruction that a potential new driver rides a bike through traffic. They might get a sense of the danger they are when driving.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Sometimes I feel that I'm the only cyclist in Toronto that stops for reds and streetcar doors. I will admit that I probably do the chicago stop at stop signs most of the time, but unlike most other cyclists that's when I can see that there's nothing there; blind intersection or busy (all way) then I will do a proper stop. To be fair, cars blow through stop signs faster than me (even on blind corners, like the one I live on); that's a much bigger concern.

My main issue is cyclists failing to even slow down (never mind actually checking for oncoming traffic) on their red, making a right turn right on top of me going straight through my green, as well as cyclists on the wrong side of the road thinking I should go around them on the left (when I can't see if there's anyone coming up behind and no time to shoulder check due to head-on risk; they can see if it's clear or not cause they're already facing that way). That was the last time I got into a fight, some fookin ponce coming at me wrong way in rush our like I'm gonna risk it and go around.

No, no they are not. Motorists not only break they law as much (especially as regards right of way - who here actually stays in the right lane when they make a right turn vs going straight into the left lane etc?)
Honestly, I do make those turns properly.

I drive like a pissed off teenager, but that's one thing I do right.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Why should cyclists have to follow the same rules as automobiles?
I think rolling stops are acceptable and if traffic and the lane is clear, no stop at all.
Cyclists have a lot more to lose.
I stopped riding road bike a few years ago, too many drivers on the road who have no clue about how deadly the car they drive is.
I think it should be mandatory driving instruction that a potential new driver rides a bike through traffic. They might get a sense of the danger they are when driving.
Rolling stops should be acceptable in all vehicles. Even the tree hugging safety advocates should see the massive inefficiency in unnecessary complete stops. Stop signs = global warming.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts