The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a guitar that was neglected, the rosewood fretboard looks a little dry. I would like to give it some kind of treatment and get it looking on the healthy side gain. It has been cleaned but what do I put on it now? Options...

-lemon oil
-motor oil
-tru oil
-wd40
-gorgomyte
-dog saliva

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Bore oil...seriously
Yup.
or light food grade mineral oil,
I bought some Fret Dr about 10 years ago,I like it too.
I'm not convinced it is absolutely neccessary,but I like how it darkens up the fingerboard.
Whatever you use,use it sparingly,a little goes along way and too much is bad for the fret slots.
I never do my guitars more than once a year ,if that often,and a couple of drops will do the whole board.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Mineral oil is what I use.

Commercial lemon oil is pretty much mineral oil with some lemon scent in it. If you think about it, citric acid from lemons would actually strip moisture from the fret board as it is a good cleaner.

I have seen folks have success with aforementioned bore oil. I have also seen tung oil, raw linseed oil, boiled linseed oil and other finishing oils used. I have no personal experience with them on finger boards, so I can't speak to them. What you want is something that does not build, but gets soaked in. Tru-oil, or gun stock oil will build like a varnish. Nice on maple boards but I don't think it is a good idea for rosewood.

No matter what you use, you are putting a finish on the neck. I know the old adage that rosewood boards do not get finished, but any kind of oil is a finish. Wood cutting boards are often finished with mineral oil.

Don't soak a lot in, and don't do it too often. I usually go by the once a year rule. More than that, unless you live in very arid conditions, will start to soften the wood and you may experience fret problems as they won't hold in to overly softened wood. I stick my finger in the jar and if I do that twice it is lots for the average finger board. I wipe it off almost right away. You may need a tiny bit more, or let it set for a couple of minutes if the board is in really rough shape.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mineral oil
Bore oil
3-in-1
Fret Doctor (me thinks it is a bit of a hype, but it does serve the purpose)
Lemon oil (no wax, no silicone)

These seem to work fine. I don't put oil on the fingerboards every year, maybe once every 2 years or so.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I use lemon oil, once a year or so. I don't take great care to avoid low humidity on my guitars, so I'll lightly oil them if they start to feel or look too dry. I also oil them after I give them a good cleaning, should they get gummed up.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got an acoustic that had the fret ends done by a drunk guy with a grinder. It's a 5 string slide guitar now.
He probably didn't use a big enough grinder. The 9" Bosch mentioned above is far too small for the job.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
another vote for Bore Oil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts