The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing with the idea of buying an Epiphone and customizing it to how I want... get a cheaper model, and swap out the pickups/pots and switch to gold hardware, and figured, by the time I did all that... and the trouble of finding a guitar in budget with the colour/grain I want.... I may as well just build one.

I see a lot of really nice looking DIY kits for LP style guitars with set necks, and a few with exactly the grain I want.

I was wondering if anyone knew what dyes, inks, or stains were used by Gibson to get that rootbeer burst finish. Seen a lot of how-to videos for the staining and nervous about doing it, but would be fun to do. Problem is I don't have the money to spend on a dozen different dyes and stains to experiment with.
Does anyone have staining experience and know what colours were used? I would guess amber and a warm brown of some kind.

On a side note, one kit caught my eye... amazing quilted grain pattern on top and abalone inlays, but, black binding, not cream. Around the guitar, probably not hard to swap, but around the neck/frets... anyone ever attempt that? I only ask because no other kit seems to have a grain like this or abalone inlays... I'd replace the binding on the body and headstock no worries, but, on the neck... I suspect that to be a lot harder to do.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Nope, don't know what Gibson uses. I personally like Saman water based stains. They have a large colour selection and huge array of colour mixing instructions at many big box stores.
I did two tops, a black / green burst and an amber/wheat mix on a raspberry/azure/blk mix back. I am not a prolific finisher, just what I can do in my basement or garage and a lot of youtube learning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts