The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is a bass player and for now he is using a borrowed bass due to some finacial problems. I am thinking of getting him a SX P bass copy from Rondo as I hear they are decent for the $$$$. I don't know basses at all and am just looking for some input as to how they perform and how much it would cost to get one up here.

Thanks Tarl

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Tarl said:
My brother is a bass player and for now he is using a borrowed bass due to some finacial problems. I am thinking of getting him a SX P bass copy from Rondo as I hear they are decent for the $$$$. I don't know basses at all and am just looking for some input as to how they perform and how much it would cost to get one up here.

Thanks Tarl
Hey Tarl,

I've heard they are great bang for the buck basses. Many guys at HCBF have them, and I'm hoping to order one soon.

Don't get a short scale version.
Spend another $25 or so and get an update wiring/pot kit from Stew Mac. ( http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/Wiring_Kit_for_P-Bass.html ) The one real weakness of the SX is the electronics. The pickups are actually okay after you change the pots out.
If you go through the order page, you'll get an idea of the cost. An SX P should be no more than $250 including taxes and everything, to your door. A guy in Yellowknife got a jazz last week - took less than 2 weeks to get to him.

Let me know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
If youre looking for a cheap bass, used Peaveys are everywhere for a song.............

·
Registered
314 Posts
Also have a look at the Ibanez SR300DX. I was going to buy a Squier P-Bass Special, but the Ibanez killed it in every department and was only $70 more.
It has active EQ, which makes a huge difference in the range of sounds available, even thru my Behringer bass amp. The blue and red finishes look kinda plastic, but the black's ok.

I don't think you can beat it if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
buckaroobanzai said:
Also have a look at the Ibanez SR300DX. I was going to buy a Squier P-Bass Special, but the Ibanez killed it in every department and was only $70 more.
It has active EQ, which makes a huge difference in the range of sounds available, even thru my Behringer bass amp. The blue and red finishes look kinda plastic, but the black's ok.

I don't think you can beat it if you're on a budget.
+1 on Ibby's.

If you must have a "Fender", I'd still recommend the SX over a Squire, and possibly a MIM Fender.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info folks. It will be a gift for my brother and I know he loves P basses. I,ll let you know how I make out.

Tarl

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Tarl said:
Thanks for the info folks. It will be a gift for my brother and I know he loves P basses. I,ll let you know how I make out.

Tarl
Can I be your brother too?

Don't forget - if you go with SX, you have to spring for new wiring and pots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard great things about SX as well. The only drawback with ordering something online from a retailer, though, is that you never really know if you're going to get a gem or a turkey...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welll....

All has been said and decided, I have no reason to post except to make my post count higher.:D

When I worked at a guitar shop, I hated the peaveys. Their necks wouldn't stay put. I had to work on them all the time and anything warranty was a major pain.

Squiers were okay. 1 out of every 10 were really quite good for a beginner.
Terrible electronics, but decent wood. IMO.

The Ibanez were pretty good. Sold lots and never had a complaint.

We never sold the SX Ps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Watch out for Rondo. They're great from what I hear, but shipping & duty/brokerage to Canada is pretty expensive, usually US$100+ for a guitar. That US$150 SX suddenly becomes a US$300 purchase (more if you add a HSC).

At that price, it's a lot tougher to recommend them.

I was going to buy a couploe guitars from them but bailed when I saw the shipping price quadruple.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
whitegreyblack said:
Watch out for Rondo. They're great from what I hear, but shipping & duty/brokerage to Canada is pretty expensive, usually US$100+ for a guitar. That US$150 SX suddenly becomes a US$300 purchase (more if you add a HSC).

At that price, it's a lot tougher to recommend them.

I was going to buy a couploe guitars from them but bailed when I saw the shipping price quadruple.
Depends where you are I guess. The prices quoted on their site are apparantly accurate to Canada, and I've priced out a 5 string jazz at $240 including everything to my door. A guy in Yukon, just got one a few weeks ago, and it was under $300 to his door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts