The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm new!

I started playing guitar a few months ago but i'm still a noob, and being a complete noob i bought a valveking 112. Anyways I find myself finding time to practice only late at night and so i find it overkill to use such an amp for such quiet volumes... so I think I should buy a solid-state amp...

what do you guys recommend?

I'm having a hard time finding a Roland dealer in my area, so i might end up buying from the states as this gives me more amps to choose from.

Here's a quicklist of what I'm interested in Getting

Roland Cube 30/60
Roland Blues Cube 60
Tech 21 Trademark 30/60

any advice? oh yah i also found the sound of my valveking changed lately... is this an indication of tubes going bad? are tubes replaceable at home??

thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Well I'm a little biased here but I've got a Tech 21 Trademark 60 and in all honesty I really think it's the most tube sounding solid state amp out there. Roland cubes are nice as well. I used to own a Jazz Chorus 77 and they're great for clean sounds. I'm afraid I can't help you with your ValveKing but I'm sure somebody will have an answer for you as there are all kinds of helpful people here. Welcome to the forum and enjoy! :wave:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you are considering the Roland Cube then you may also want to consider the VOX DA5. A great little practice amp with effects and amp simulations.

Coincidentally, I just happen to know of a good deal on a used one! :) Seriously, even if you don't want mine you should check one out. PM me if you are interested though, and please excuse the spam (although I thought it was appropriate given your question).

TG

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I dont know how they compare price-wise to the amps you mentioned, but I have a Vox AD30VT which I use at home. Its very versatile and has a bunch of amp models/effects on it. It also has an "attenuation type dealy" on the back to help get good sounds at lower volume. Its worth considering:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronix/ad15-30-50-100vt.asp

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Roland and Boss are part of the same company FYI. I've seen a lot more stores with Rolands than Tech 21s. Odd. Do want an amp that takes pedals or has built in effects? Do you want a modeling amp or just an amp?

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
if you have the VK, then you have your big rocker.

get a peavey blazer 158.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have a Cube 60 and owned a Cube 30 before.....great sounding and reliable SS amps for the price. The Vox DA5 is also right in the same ballpark

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Well I'm a little biased here but I've got a Tech 21 Trademark 60 and in all honesty I really think it's the most tube sounding solid state amp out there.
...same here. in fact, i am leaving my traynor tube combo at home tonight and taking the trademark 60 to the gig - i'll report back on monday.

i also have a vox da5, which is a killer amp for quiet, low volume practising.

-dh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do want an amp that takes pedals or has built in effects? Do you want a modeling amp or just an amp?
I was kinda leaning towards an amp with effects so i can noodle around with it for a bit.. but then i caved in and bought a Digitech RP250 MultiEffects pedal so I could run some headphones into it. Seems to work decently.. but it's definately no substitute for an amp!

so... Solid State amp with or without modelling/effects is ok with me!

As for the VOX AD30VT... i was thinking about it, then reading about how their quality control is gave me a scare.

Also.. i think i might try and get rid of the valveking, and get back into tubes once i am better!

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
dude, the VK is a tube amp......

if you want a no frills practise amp, peavey rage 158. they sound amazing, and they are under $100 new.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool i have played on a older rage 158, it sounded pretty good but the speaker kept farting. i'm combing the classifieds daily but can't find anything where i'm at (winnipeg)

might give in and buy a ROLAND CUBE SOON!! it's so CUBE!!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I had a Tech 21 Trademark 60 for awhile. They are a really neat amp, but I was just never able to get the sounds I wanted from it. If I ever found a good deal on a used TM30 I would likely give it another shot because one of my issues with the TM60 was the control layout. The TM10 and TM30 have a much better control setup IMO.

They are kind of a different beast than the Cube but they are a light, portable, and well designed amp. They are definitely worth trying out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wish i could try out the tech21 trademark line but it seems noone carries them in Winnipeg... probably have to take the plunge and go on ebay.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
cool i have played on a older rage 158, it sounded pretty good but the speaker kept farting.

...i find that odd. i can get mine pretty loud with no speaker farting.

then again, this is avery small amp, with a six-inch speaker - sounds like you need a much larger/louder amp for your purpose.

-dh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
then again, this is avery small amp, with a six-inch speaker - sounds like you need a much larger/louder amp for your purpose.
nono.. it was just the speaker was bad in that practicular amp, so it wasn't a fair evaluation of the amp.

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
was it bad, or were you just driving it too hard with bass and volume in general? i got some hideous sounds out of mine before i learned it did in fact have a gain channel haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
was it bad, or were you just driving it too hard with bass and volume in general? i got some hideous sounds out of mine before i learned it did in fact have a gain channel haha
lol.. nah it was bad for sure.. cuz it would fart with no gain at all.. i borrowed this amp from a friend that played it for many years.

anyone wanna buy my valveking!!? it has ruby tubes in it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts