The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just saw the 1st Toronto show last night, FANTASTIC!

to be honest I am a bit sick of "comfortably numb" but the crowd erupted and it was really good.

Dave Kilminster was killing it all night, on gtr, as usual. The younger "hippie" dude was really good on tr too, and his vocals matched very well. He sang all the DG parts

"great gig in the sky" was absolutely stupendous, I really like how those 2 girls did the vocals. They are amazing,...and really great stage presence with their drumming too

compared to the Gilmour Pompeii " gig in the sky": I thought Water's was much better. the Pompeii version grated on my ears: it was all harsh screaming and not nearly as dynamic, emotional, moving.

the songs from "Animals" were highlights for me; the impact of them being played live was impressive. No wonder the audience went nuts at Montreal '77 :D

And his new songs blended in very well musically. although "picture that" dragged on a bit though IMO

at least they embellished the instrumental parts, which I thought were lacking on the album

highly recommended. it was loud though. I should have brought earplugs

ps keyboard solo during "dogs" was well done, but I thought RW walking around detracted from it and nobody cheered the poor guy! I would have let him shine for a bit, without any stage distractions. it's a nice moody part of the song

he's in TO tonight, and returning Oct 13 too. check it out, if you have a chance

Reactions: StratCat

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I absolutely loved the Animals section, but having seen him a dozen or so times now going back to the mid-80's, the rest of the show just gets a solid "cool" from me. Don't get me wrong - it's a fantastic production and the band is tight - but if I have seen him 12 times then I've seen 12 versions of Money, 12 versions of Time, 12 versions of Another Brick (half a dozen with local school kids doing the second verse) etc...

My son who's 15 saw him for the first time last night and was totally blown away by it all. The different speakers set up all around the arena was a nice touch for sound effects - but I'll be honest, being there with my kid the night after the Vegas situation and hearing gunshots out of them to my right, then my left was maybe a little too life-like... We were first row of the upper level a couple seats right of centre ice and those sound effect speakers added a whole bunch to the majesty of it all. The sound was crystal clear where we were, couldn't have asked for better quality or volume.

Good chance we'll go back on the 13th to see it again.

Stage Performance Sport venue Concert Arena

Light Visual effect lighting Lighting Laser Technology

·
Registered
349 Posts
A buddies going on the 13th and his ticket price was $360. Crazy price IMO
Yeah, all the fossil rock shows have silly prices these days. We got seats for a lot less than that, so at least there are some options if you don't need to be front & centre. Every once in a while you can get lucky with last minute buys on stubhub, CL, kijiji etc too - those are great if you want to snag cheap last minute lawns for the Ampitheatre or something along those lines.

Ticketmaster now (at least for some shows) has some kind of special premium reserved band allocated something-like-that tickets that you can find if you look around the site without going through the standard seat search. We got our Waters tix through that, and they're first row upper level for only a small amount more than other 'worse' seats, and when you buy those there's no service charge, so may even wind up cheaper. Don't 100% remember how that works exactly but it's worth checking out.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fyi I got great seats for $100 off ticketmaster night before the show

Section 103 facing the stage, centre

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, I posted that as response to the $360 ticket price above

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Saw the show in August at Auburn Hills, Michigan with my two teenage sons who are huge fans. So amazing to be sharing this music of my youth with my kids. We saw Gilmour in Toronto last year as well.

I hope $360.00 gets you to the front of the stage.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the mon show was so good, I decided to go tues as well....walked over to the ACC and talked to them about any available seats

ended up 3rd row, side stage. amazing seats. right at stage level, about 20' away. got a great view of everything going on, on stage

here are a couple pics. I had the camera in my lap, so as to not annoy anyone behind me. so the perspective is a bit low

the younger gtr player on the other side had a tweed ( deluxe? ) and a piggyback blonde bandmaster, it looked like

Dave K was using Suhr gtrs + Suhr amp

RW is back to using HIWATT amps & cabs, there were a pair of Ampeg SVT's for the other bass player.

the dual basses on "one of these days" was stupendous

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Concert was amazing. Still miss Gilmour's voice though. All the leads were played by a Telecaster. Pretty impressive all around. Disappointed that there was no coverage of the concert in the news the next day.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Thanks for the photo of the guitar. That makes more sense. I was wondering how he got that sound using a Telecaster. Those carvings are really well done.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah I think it looks killer!

I may get a tele carved something like that, someday....

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Thanks to Bolero confirming that the $81 side-stage seats that dropped were killer, and not at the actual side of the stage - my son and I went back and took in Night 3. Much different/better vibe in the arena than Night 1 (which was the day after Vegas and the day of Tom Petty's passing) - so glad we went a caught it again.

Performance Entertainment Stage Rock concert Concert

For some perspective on the size of the centre screen over the crowd that may not come through in my pics from Night 1;

Stage Performance Entertainment Red Performing arts

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
I keep forgetting that seats don’t matter when I go to these events. Everyone stands through the whole thing and by the second half, there’s people from the nosebleeds standing in front of your seat recording the show with their phones. Lol

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this is neat, someone compiled a bunch of footage to make a complete show

1 - 20 of 20 Posts