The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
He was the first Bond I knew....Moonraker being the first 007 movie I saw in the theater as a wee lad with my mom and one of her friends. Probably my favorite Bond until Brosnan.
the best Bond debate is worn out. I thought he was the anti-thesis to Connery. Moore didn't pull off the physical stuff very well due to his slight build, but IMo he came across as much suaver and more intelligent. apples and oranges. all can be appreciated in their own light.
I read once that he was a talented artist as well.
Reading his wiki page, it appears he lived a damn good life.

·
Premium Member
12,287 Posts
My 3rd favorite Bond. He was great in The Saint as well.

Here's a pic of him sitting outside of Goldeneye, Ian Fleming's house in Jamaica (and where all the Bond books were written).

This was taken while shooting Live And Let Die, which along with The Spy Who Loved Me were his two best, I think. During his term, Bond became more light-hearted and comical (and popular!) with recurring roles by Jaws and JW Pepper.

RIP, Sir Roger Moore.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Sean Connery and Roger Moore were my two favorite Bond agents!

·
Registered
24,721 Posts
I'm in Scotland right now, and they still show The Saint on daytime TV here. I used to think that Volvo was one of the sexiest cars around, along with the Avanti.

Moore's Bond was certainly debonair, but there was an additional couldn't-care-less attitude about him, as if saving the world wasa bit of an imposition.

But a long and accomplished life. Thanks for reminding me of Ivanhoe. Used to watch that one too.

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
I am old enough that when I think of Roger Moore, I think of this... RIP

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am old enough that when I think of Roger Moore, I think of this... RIP

Yes, tweaking his eyebrows and that Volvo P1800 (I had the Corgi diecast toy with "The Saint" logo on the roof top as a kid). While there will always be disagreements on who is the best James Bond ever, Roger Moore is the best Simon Templar of them all.

R.I.P. Roger Moore

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
I'm in Scotland right now, and they still show The Saint on daytime TV here. I used to think that Volvo was one of the sexiest cars around, along with the Avanti.

Moore's Bond was certainly debonair, but there was an additional couldn't-care-less attitude about him, as if saving the world wasa bit of an imposition.

But a long and accomplished life. That's for reminding me of Ivanhoe. Used to watch that one too.
That's an interesting way to put it....I think he did have a bit of the Brit snob air to him, although he wore it well, and north americans eat it up. Reading his wiki page, colours that a little more. He was a pretty successful actor with a professional pedigree prior to getting the 007 gig, spent much of his private life as Monacos most famous houseguest, etc. While Connery was a bodybuilder and labourer.
Its surprising to me that Moore played a cowboy in a tv show. Just cant picture it.

·
Registered
24,721 Posts
That's an interesting way to put it....I think he did have a bit of the Brit snob air to him, although he wore it well, and north americans eat it up. Reading his wiki page, colours that a little more. He was a pretty successful actor with a professional pedigree prior to getting the 007 gig, spent much of his private life as Monacos most famous houseguest, etc. While Connery was a bodybuilder and labourer.
I didn't wish to imply a snobbishness on his part as Bond. More of the attitude of a 17 year-old being asked to do husehold chores they'd rather not be doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts