The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marc Maron interviewed Roger Daltrey last week. He's not always the most eloquent or articulate guy, but he's absolutely straight up decent and honest, with a good sense of humour about himself and life; the kind of guy you'd love to have over for dinner, regardless of his degree of celebrity. He gives a wonderful recounting of the history of the band, from the earliest skiffle days onward, as well as how the band crossed paths with various other Brit-rock royalty. I wasn't aware that he had built his first guitars, with carpentry assistance from an uncle, and smuggled pickups from a buddy who worked at the Burns factory, or that Pete's guitar when he joined the band was a homemade body attached to a commercial neck of some type. As Daltrey put it, you could buy a house in those days for what a real Fender cost in England. A simply charming dude and utterly listenable interview. Recommended. Note: as with all of Maron's podcasts, there is about 15 minutes at the start of ads and him ranting. Some folks like it, and some don't.

Episode 964 - Roger Daltrey

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Marc Maron interviewed Roger Daltrey last week. He's not always the most eloquent or articulate guy, but he's absolutely straight up decent and honest, with a good sense of humour about himself and life; the kind of guy you'd love to have over for dinner, regardless of his degree of celebrity. He gives a wonderful recounting of the history of the band, from the earliest skiffle days onward, as well as how the band crossed paths with various other Brit-rock royalty. I wasn't aware that he had built his first guitars, with carpentry assistance from an uncle, and smuggled pickups from a buddy who worked at the Burns factory, or that Pete's guitar when he joined the band was a homemade body attached to a commercial neck of some type. As Daltrey put it, you could buy a house in those days for what a real Fender cost in England. A simply charming dude and utterly listenable interview. Recommended. Note: as with all of Maron's podcasts, there is about 15 minutes at the start of ads and him ranting. Some folks like it, and some don't.

Episode 964 - Roger Daltrey
Funny,I just watched this ...

a couple of hours ago and was going to make a post about it.
Good watch.

Sounds like he covered a lot of the same stuff in the podcast.
I suppose that pre-determined questions and subject matter are the MO of a book tour though.
Generating interest without giving up too much.

·
Registered
24,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, as part of the same book tour, he also appeared on Q, covering much of the same turf, though it was a considerably shorter interview. Maron had him for an hour or so, allowing for more depth than the Q interview. Given the length of the Apatow video, I imagine it goes into similar depth. With those long interviews, you have to wonder if there is any point in buying or reading his book; so kind of a self-defeating book tour from the publisher's perspective. But there's little doubt he is a more interesting guy than we might have thought, and has had a very interesting ride through rock history.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts