The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I have no problem with that guitar. Keifer can design a guitar just as good as the next guy, maybe even better..................

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't see the problem. What makes you think it will be a bad guitar?

You have to remember that the main goal of all companies is to make moeny. Signature guitars are a good way for Gibson to make money, so they produce them. It's not like they are bad guitars.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lately the big guitar company's have been spending more on R&D into "gimmick" models, than trying to improve QC on their existing lines....IMO of course

·
Registered
255 Posts
Kiefer Sutherland is quite the shredder and deserves a custom model guitar....Ha ha not!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't see how this is different from any other time in guitar history.

Anyway, Kiefer is a big fan of music and has his own record label. Ron Sexsmith just recently signed to it.

And besides, he's way more rock and roll than a lot of musicians. Have you seen the video of him drunkenly tackling a christmas tree? Or heard the story about how he drunkenly burnt the only prototype of his Jack Bauer action figure? The dude's awesome! :banana:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
The "inspired by" series . . . inspired by the corporate bottom line :tongue:

I think this is pretty pathetic too. Maybe they will do an American Idol guitar, Spiderman 4 guitar, and . . .

Fender and Gibson seem to do nothing but marketing lately. Gibson's quality is horrendous. I recently played a Melody Maker that looked like it was painted with a spray can. The action was terrible, there were build probelms everywhere, and the store wanted $800 for it!!! :confused-smiley-010 Fender offers so many bloody models of Strat and Teles that I couldn't keep anything straight and price seems in no way related to quality.

TG

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
From what I understand, Keifer is quite the collector of vintage Gibsons and a competent player. He is active in running a label and a recording Studio. Personally I'd like to see an SG inspired by Frank Zappa (apparently THAT was an inspired instrument.)

·
Registered
644 Posts
So tell me, which one of you would not, if given the opportunity, want to influence the design of a guitar being made for you? It's no different than Nike getting super star atheletes to wear their product or GM paying Tiger Williams millions of dollars to drive a Buick. You have to remember that they are a business trying to sell a product. They are not a bunch or tone purists whose only concern is making the best sounding / playing guitar on the planet.

BTW I do like the look of that guitar.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
For some kicks, we should review Leo Fender and Ted McCarty's discograpghies. Surely the 2 best known and successful guitar designers ever to live would have much better ones than Keifer. Otherwise what business would they have in guitar design? Man, what a gimmick.............

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
I think the goldtop on that guitar is incredible. If I was going to own a hollowbody that would be the one.

For the most part If I don't like something I stop looking. Tha's probably why I can't keep my eyes ( or hands) off my R8.:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
He may very well have a great guitar collection, record label, etc etc but he would NOT have this guitar if he didn't have a hit TV show. This is about marketing, pure and simple . . . Have any of you seen Gibson's new line of computer peripherals?? I'm not kidding: The "Les Paul" flashdrive!!!!

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Audio/Consumer Electronics/

Of course Gibson is a company trying to make money; I don't think anyone is saying they should sell guitars at a loss for the sake of holy tone. But you don't need to be a "tone snob" to wish Gibson would dedicate more time and effort towards the quality of their product and less time towards marketing and gimmics. The two big Gibson dealers in town both have a ton of Gibsons with quality control issues (poorly cut nuts, fret probelms, finish flaws) yet every week the prices seem to go up and some new gimmick model arrives :eek:

TG

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
It's a CS-336 with a gold top and custom block inlays. I have 3 Gibsons, all keepers. However, I haven't checked out recent production models. Too bad the current opinion of their quality is low.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts