The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For you Rockman freaks (like me) here is a super rare amp. The elusive Rockman XP212. Very few of these were ever made. Combines the XPR rack with combo amp. This is the ultimate in terms of combos that SR&D ever put out. I got this one from a dude in NYC about 4 years ago. :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
For you Rockman freaks (like me) here is a super rare amp. The elusive Rockman XP212. Very few of these were ever made. Combines the XPR rack with combo amp. This is the ultimate in terms of combos that SR&D ever put out. I got this one from a dude in NYC about 4 years ago. :) :) :)
I had an XPR...wish I never sold it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, they made 3 'combos' IIRC. The A12-50 - a 1x12", 50Watt, based on the Ultimatum Distortion pedal (rare), the XPR212 below (which is ultra rare), and another one based on the XPR that had 2x50Watt amps, 2x6" speakers, and you could separate the speakers to get the wider stereo affect.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, the latter was the XP100 and was (is) a very cool little amp. I still have one of those as well. I use it like an amp head and run it through a Marshall cab. Great little amp. You can still get those but the prices have more than doubled since I got mine. The A12-50 I had for some time but as you say, it was based on the Ultimatum distortion circuit and although a nice amp, I never got totally into that one. You can also find the Ultimatum pedal with some patience and searching.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Yep, I still have my XP100, although it's in storage over at my friends place. The distortion effect on that amp is just amazing and it's no slouch at the clean sounds either. I used to use it with a band I was in back in the mid 90's and everybody really liked the sound of it. The interesting thing is, I have a Simon and Patrick acoustic with an L.R. Baggs pickup in it which I'd use with the amp sometimes, and if I stood in a certain area, even with the clean setting, I'd get feedback coming off the open A string that sounded exactly like the fedback note at the beginning of the Beatles song, "I Feel Fine." At first it was kind of cool but it got a little annoying after a while. :smile:
Got to be some more Rockman lovers out there in Canada. :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Yeah I remember reading about that a few years ago. I also play that riff. :smile:

I believe the the feedback in "I Feel Fine" was John's J160E, so it makes sense that an acoustic feeding back would be close to the right sound.

I know a guy who can pick up on the note that is feeding back, and dive right into the "I Feel Fine" riff in the correct key. Very cool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my Rockman XP212 directly from Gary Pihl of Boston.

I think only a handfull of Rockman XP212 Combo amps, maybe under 12 were ever made. Thank God I'm from the Boston aera. I actually has 2 of them for my set-up. I bought them for only $800.00 each from Boston's stand in guitarist Gary Pihl. I think he was on the 3rd Stage Album. Does anyone know what they are worth these days? KB

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think only a handfull of Rockman XP212 Combo amps, maybe under 12 were ever made. Thank God I'm from the Boston aera. I actually has 2 of them for my set-up. I bought them for only $800.00 each from Boston's stand in guitarist Gary Pihl. I think he was on the 3rd Stage Album. Does anyone know what they are worth these days? KB
Its hard to put a price tag on these as they very rarely come up for sale. It's one of those things that really goes based on what someone is willing to pay for it and any given time. I could not see one going for any less that $1200 though and the high end really depends on the buyer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts