The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m doing a lot of 12-string lately. My fingertips are crazy calloused!
I sometimes switch between 12 string and mandolin for different songs. Not good enough on mandolin to do that live though. After the mandolin I have to be very cognizant of where my fingers are in relation to the frets on the 12 string.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I love 12 strings.
Something about the double course that sounds real cool...

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeahhh 12 string! I have to ask, what song were you playing?

My Martin 12 strings is by far my favourite guitar but I find it not always appropriate in a band context.
I play whatever they are playing. It's an open jam so whoever wants can get up and sing and we all play along. I've played Warpig and Sunshine of Your Love on the 12 string. The night the picture was taken we played a lot of JJ Cale and Grateful Dead. The singer with the strat knows almost every song that anyone wants to sing. He is amazing so I just watch him for the changes. He usually plays the chords until the rest of us get the changes then he takes the lead parts. If he doesn't know the song the bass player will know it. In that case he plays the root until we all get the changes. Strumming chords in the background with a 12 string works for almost any song.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I play whatever they are playing. It's an open jam so whoever wants can get up and sing and we all play along. I've played Warpig and Sunshine of Your Love on the 12 string. The night the picture was taken we played a lot of JJ Cale and Grateful Dead. The singer with the strat knows almost every song that anyone wants to sing. He is amazing so I just watch him for the changes. He usually plays the chords until the rest of us get the changes then he takes the lead parts. If he doesn't know the song the bass player will know it. In that case he plays the root until we all get the changes. Strumming chords in the background with a 12 string works for almost any song.
Sabbath on a 12 string sounds cool...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
For years a 12 string was my only acoustic. Then I learned to solo which is hard on a 12. Theguitar started collapsing in on itself and I've never bought another. Love the sound though.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I am looking for a 12 string acoustic at the moment. I haven't had one for a number of years now and miss having one. I've played the Seagull and it sounds great to me. I have a couple more to try before I make a decision

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I've seen that guitar. I've heard that guitar. I've even seen that pose. It is a wonderful guitar in very capable hands.

Great pic, Kerry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've owned a couple of 12-strings over the years. Some of the songs I liked to play on them were Midnight On The Sea, When I Was A Cowboy, They're Red Hot, Alabamy Bound, Bring It On Home, and Beaumont Rag.
Both times I've gotten rid of my 12-strings I've regretted it after a while. Mybe I'll have to get another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts