The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few pedals that burn my retinas. Does anyone know of a North American source for these things?

·
Registered
24,384 Posts
It's a simple matter of increasing the value of the resistor that feeds the LED. If the pedals don't use surface-mount components, I can probably do the requisite adjustment for you.

I have a little gadget I made for adjusting the brightness before installation. It's a little 12-position switch with a bunch of known resistance values. You stick the LED in the socket, apply power, start from the dimmest setting, and work your way step by step to an acceptably bright setting. From there one can figure out the closest common value to use. So if the 10k settings seems close but juuuuust a bit too dim, you can use a 9K1 or 8K2 resistor for that particular LED.

The trouble is that they come is so many different levels of efficiency, without anything external to designate/distinguish. I stick 'em all in the same parts drawer, so when I go to install one, I have to assess its brightness individually.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a simple matter of increasing the value of the resistor that feeds the LED. If the pedals don't use surface-mount components, I can probably do the requisite adjustment for you.

I have a little gadget I made for adjusting the brightness before installation. It's a little 12-position switch with a bunch of known resistance values. You stick the LED in the socket, apply power, start from the dimmest setting, and work your way step by step to an acceptably bright setting. From there one can figure out the closest common value to use. So if the 10k settings seems close but juuuuust a bit too dim, you can use a 9K1 or 8K2 resistor for that particular LED.

The trouble is that they come is so many different levels of efficiency, without anything external to designate/distinguish. I stick 'em all in the same parts drawer, so when I go to install one, I have to assess its brightness individually.
I appreciate the offer but it's time consuming for both of us. Right now I've got white electrical tape over the LEDs which works fine as a low-tech solution.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Right now I've got white electrical tape over the LEDs which works fine as a low-tech solution.
Similar approach here.
I cut out a ~3/16 inch diameter piece from a regular address/file folder label with an adhesive back. It diminished the light by an estimated 75%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts