The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive always been a tele into a “clean fender” guy, but my GAS had me buy a p90 LP jr last week and now I’m looking for a bit different amp , I would like to hear what your idea of a “Marshall” rock tone amp would be? Obviously Marshall or other brands, I think I would like low wattage say 15-30? and resonable portability would be an asset i don’t care if it’s a head or combo, just looking for your suggestions to start my search!
Budget would be around 1000$ (I think)
Thanks
Shooter

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
I really like my Marshall 2525H, it may come in budget used.

5 and 20 watt settings.
I primarily use mine in the clean channel set to crunch, then hit it with a treble booster for more fun.

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
Brand spanking new Katana 100watt 1x12 for less then $600. All the dirt you will need! An awesome amp. I don’t even use my pedals anymore! Loud enough for gigs in any small to medium size venue!

I have had it at 100w once and the neighbors two doors over could hear me, windows closed and of course they were in there backyard!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brand spanking new Katana 100watt 1x12 for less then $600. All the dirt you will need! An awesome amp. I don’t even use my pedals anymore! Loud enough for gigs in any small to medium size venue!

I have had it at 100w once and the neighbors two doors over could hear me, windows closed and of course they were in there backyard!
I’ve played one a few times in the shop and yes they are cool! But I’m hard headed and like the idea of a tube amp

·
Registered
371 Posts
What Lola said, though use your pedals hahahhh i need to say that to justify them sitting there now with the Katana

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like my Marshall 2525H, it may come in budget used.

5 and 20 watt settings.
I primarily use mine in the clean channel set to crunch, then hit it with a treble booster for more fun.
Is this the mini jubilee ? I seen one at L&m

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
I’ve played one a few times in the shop and yes they are cool! But I’m hard headed and like the idea of a tube amp
I wanted a tube for the longest time but this amp is just as good as a tube without spending all the money!

One day I will buy a tube but for now it seems redundant.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While I'm no expert, I've heard that lots of vintage Traynors can be Marshall esque. They're sensibly priced and being vintage, unlikely to decrease in value.
I have a old Traynor yba1 and yea it is kind of Marshall ish it is WAY too loud and not to mention heavy

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
The Fender Bassbreakers are going faily cheap on the used market.

I get great marshally tones from my Valve Jr paired with a marshally OD pedal. I'd look hard at <12W SE tube amps. You'll be able to get into that power tube crunch.

·
Premium Member
16,816 Posts
I have a old Traynor yba1 and yea it is kind of Marshall ish it is WAY too loud and not to mention heavy
I'm sure there's a good master volume mod for the YBA's though. The weight probably a little less so :p.

If you enjoy your fender amps and are ok with getting marshall dirt from a pedal, the fulltone OCD or the Alexander Jubilee (?) would probably do it.

·
Premium Member
9,732 Posts
No one on this site talks about them, but I think the Orange Terror models would fit nicely here and likely save you some $

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
The Fender Bassbreakers are going faily cheap on the used market.

I get great marshally tones from my Valve Jr paired with a marshally OD pedal. I'd look hard at <12W SE tube amps. You'll be able to get into that power tube crunch.
I did try the Bass breaker and didn’t like it one bit. Just too damned trebly for my likes no matter how much you dialed in the treble.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
.. GAS had me buy a p90 LP jr last week and now I’m looking for a bit different amp ,
LPJ is such an awesome guitar that it will sound good through anything.

I'm running mine through a Fender 57 Custom Champ 5 watts which I like and it has a lot of crunch but I'm thinking about getting a slightly bigger amp; maybe a Pro Junior or AC15.

I also have a Super Champ X2 15 watts but I'm thinking of moving it on and getting something different maybe the Vox or Pro Junior. Super Champ is a nice amp but the 57 Custom Champ blows it away for tone.

Which LPJ did you get ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will take all the suggestions and form a search based on them! And I will let you know how it goes! Also I guess I should post a NGD !
Thanks

1 - 20 of 39 Posts