The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't begin to count the number of hours I spent trying to nail his solo on "Repent Walpurgis" from the first Procol Harum" album (an album replete with what I consider some of his best work). These days, he' s showing his age, and resembles the sort of older gentleman you'd strike up a conversation with at the end of your respective laneways on garbage day, about how "these young lads" collecting the rubbish aren't very conscientious and leave waste lying around after they've haphazardly slung your bins into the back of the lorry.

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
man... when he does that little piece from bridge of sighs, it has soooo much power in it! he is one of my favorite players.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I never knew he played in Procol Harum.
I did one of his songs and tried so hard to get that univibe sound he has.....I tried 3-4 univibe type pedals and they all sounded horrible. I don't know how he does it.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
I have that album in mono bought way back then and I listened to it a lot way back then. From listening to them I quickly landed on Bach’s Brandenburgs. They also wrote good lyrics often derived from classical education. Procol and a few other bands were a great gateway to art and music for the kids that we were - I don’t know if that exists anymore. But one minute you were listening to their music when yer like 14 and the next it’s wow listen to this fuckin chamber music it’s got the same stuff goin on

·
Registered
413 Posts
I did one of his songs and tried so hard to get that univibe sound he has.....I tried 3-4 univibe type pedals and they all sounded horrible. I don't know how he does it.
I had a Fulltone Mini-Deja'Vibe (the cream coloured square box) that nailed it. Seriously hypnotic with a huge amount of low end on the throb.

I sold that one and bought the Mini Deja'Vibe 3 because I wanted a foot treadle. It was completely uninspiring and never even came close to approximating that sound. I sold it a few weeks ago after having it sit in a drawer for a couple years.

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Optimal use of a Uni-Vibe is just as Robin uses it: ahead of your distortion source. Vibes are fundamentally 4-stage phasers. Where they are different is that the phase-shift is staggered such that they create broad shallow dips, rather than narrow focussed notches. As the dips move around, they bring portions of the guitar signal closer to and farther from whatever clipping threshold the distorting pedal/s have been set to. This creates a kind of "animated" tone, rather than a filtered sound (think Alex Lifeson). When he hits the Bridge of Sighs riff and lets the notes ring, you can hear that the "grit" fluctuates, rather than how a phaser focusses your attention on where the filtering effect is occurring at each moment. If the sweep range and width of a phaser is set just right (and regen/feedback turned down/off), you can get almost the same sound by sticking your phaser ahead of your distortion.

Unlike phasers, vibes are largely inaudible if the speed is too slow, and providing a feedback/regen path is useless. So you will never see a feedback control on a vibe, and their speed range will be narrower than that of a phaser.

Trower's luscious tone, however, gives one pause to seriously consider the SRV route: heavier strings and tuning down a bit. The thicker strings yield a meatier, more powerful signal. Somewhat paradoxically, his low E, A, and D aren't that much thicker than what is found in a 10-46 standard-tuning set. Given his use of jumbo frets, I imagine he needs to change his strings often. I find that jumbo frets can compromise intonation faster. And when the strings are a little "floppier" (as his lower wound strings would be), that only exaggerates any drop in intonation.

And, while I don't wish to be too picky, John Bohlinger talks about a "Fender Bender". It's Blender, not Bender.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I was never into Procol Harum or Robin Trower, but I greatly appreciate what he brought to the Rock and guitar community.

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a Fulltone Mini-Deja'Vibe (the cream coloured square box) that nailed it. Seriously hypnotic with a huge amount of low end on the throb.

I sold that one and bought the Mini Deja'Vibe 3 because I wanted a foot treadle. It was completely uninspiring and never even came close to approximating that sound. I sold it a few weeks ago after having it sit in a drawer for a couple years.
While the photocells in both vibes and phasers do not have to be matched, the way that transistors do, their alignment, if clustered around a single light source (like the Voodoo Lab Micro-Vibe shown below), can be a little off, sometimes. If one or more of the photocells is unintentioally bent back or otherwise differently from the others, the light source can have a different impact on those photocells, and lead to a less satisfying sweep.

And, since many vibe units use an incandescent bulb, as shown here, there is often a trimmer inside to set the brightness range of the bulb. At least part of how vibes sound the way they do has to do with the speed with which such bulbs light up and dim down. It's a little asymmetrical. Keep in mind that "going dim" involves the filament cooling down.

·
Registered
413 Posts
And, since many vibe units use an incandescent bulb, as shown here, there is often a trimmer inside to set the brightness range of the bulb. At least part of how vibes sound the way they do has to do with the speed with which such bulbs light up and dim down. It's a little asymmetrical. Keep in mind that "going dim" involves the filament cooling down.
With the MDV3 I messed around with the internal trimmer for awhile and is just never managed to produce whatever magic it was I was looking for.

With the Deja Vibe it was more than just the throb; it felt like I was playing underwater. There was a definite effect on the attack envelope of the note that made it feel like it was dripping.

Either way, I never found the MDV3 all that inspiring. Could've just been that one pedal kind of sucked... could be the whole lot of them... I don't have a large enough sample to say either way.

G

·
I have the same Deja2 pedal he has. It is very large so I haven't used it in some time. Any idea where it should be placed in the pedal order? Hopefully near the start so I can place it outside with my wah...

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The sounds that everyone loves generally come from sticking it just ahead of whatever you're using to get "dirt".

G

·
The sounds that everyone loves generally come from sticking it just ahead of whatever you're using to get "dirt".
I went Wah --> Deja2 --> Compressor --> Dirt --> etc... Sounds great!

When you say "just ahead of whatever you're using to get "dirt" " do you mean before or after dirt?

G

·
Before. Which is precisely what you did, and why you liked it so much.
The D2 has a great sound with the vibrato set to modern and the speed as slow as it gets for an always on pedal. Then switch to chorus and the whole throbby watery chorus 60's effect takes over.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Text Font Calligraphy Smile Art

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have a Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe. I never liked the sound of it with overdrive, but I was running it after the drive pedal. I switched it around today and as Mark was saying, it sounds much better.
I watched the rig rundown too, and was trying to get his tone on Bridge of Sighs, with a Bluesbreaker 2 and the Dano Vibe, into my Silverface Champ. Not quite.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts