The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A vintage Riviera 20 Watt Tube guitar amplifier for sale.

The amp was probably made sometime in the late sixties or early seventies by Pine Engineering Company in Montreal Canada. As usual it is based on Fender type circuitry and features tube rectification with a 5AR4 Phillips tube. The power section is delivered via two 6V6 tubes (new matched JJ tubes) and two 12ax7 tubes in the preamp section. It has a Hammond output transformer, a new 3 prong power cable (about 5 foot length) and has two inputs. The output is 8 ohm and it can run two cabinets.

The amp has recently been serviced by an amp tech in Edmonton Alberta. The amp was rewired back to cathode bias, new volume, bass and treble pots installed as well as the new matched power tubes.

The amp sounds very good! With the bass input it is a darker, cleaner tone with a fat sound; into the guitar input is a brighter grittier tone with an earlier break up. At the volume from 7 to 11 o’clock, the amp stays clean; from 11 to 1 o’clock the amp begins to break up nicely with good volume; past 1 o’clock the amp goes into full tube overdrive with lots of power and a great overdriven sound. I played the the amp through a 1x12 cabinet with a Weber speaker, so anything bigger than that will only increase the amps range and volume projection.

The amp in the head cabinet weighs in at 18 pounds/8 kg.

Asking $425 obo

20201116_165406.jpg
20201116_162016.jpg
20201116_162125.jpg
20201116_162912.jpg
20201116_162946.jpg
20201116_163152.jpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
she sure is ugly but betting sounds great!
i have built this circuit twice with very musical results.
yours is a good deal for any true tube tone chaser.

merry xmas to the new owner

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no new owner yet. no interest what so ever. Guess everyone wants a shiny new Fender or Marshall soo all their buddies can go "wow! looks great dude!"

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
Ya thanks. I am keeping it for now, want to add a 2x10 cabinet for it. It really is a good sounding amp.
The factory cabinet was an oversized, closed back, ported 1x15. Mine had a Radio Speakers of Canada (RSC) built Jensen EMC1500 in it. If you get a chance, I recommend trying out a 15" speaker with it. I just turned my model 730 into a neat little 1x10 combo.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The factory cabinet was an oversized, closed back, ported 1x15. Mine had a Radio Speakers of Canada (RSC) built Jensen EMC1500 in it. If you get a chance, I recommend trying out a 15" speaker with it. I just turned my model 730 into a neat little 1x10 combo.
Thanks I will look into that. I imagine the 15" would give some great low end response with the right speaker. I had a Peavey Blues Classic once with 1x15 combo. Sounded wicked.

I also have a PEPCO model 205 that I run into a 1x12 cabinet. That is tone machine, great little amp.

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
Thanks I will look into that. I imagine the 15" would give some great low end response with the right speaker. I had a Peavey Blues Classic once with 1x15 combo. Sounded wicked.

I also have a PEPCO model 205 that I run into a 1x12 cabinet. That is tone machine, great little amp.
I robbed that Jensen 15" to build a Vibroclone out of my '75 Super Reverb, and it is glorious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts