The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sad news to share with everyone that knew Gerry.
He passed away peacefully in his sleep Friday night.
Font Art Circle Magenta Building
We'll miss you my friend.
Jeans Plant Wood Flowerpot Electronic instrument

No details to add at this point. When there are, I'll update this thread.

·
Premium Member
19,322 Posts
Oh my. I'm very sorry to hear this Larry. I met Gerry once to exchange some gear.

I know he was well liked on this site and he will be missed.

My condolences to his family.

Thanksgiving.....

I always try to be grateful every Thanksgiving, just to have awoken.

Thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Very sad news to wake up to today. 😔 I know the many here who met Gerry through the Riff Wrath jams will attest to what a kind, friendly and generous guy he was. The first time I met him he treated me as though I'd known him for years. He was totally in tune with the common bond that we as musicians share and he had a passion for fostering a sense of community that many of us shared through the jams that he and Annette hosted. I'm feeling a big hole right now.... 😔

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
Man, that's really sad news. I only got to attend one Riff Wrath jam but he was a very nice and accommodating fellow. Him and his wife, Annette's hospitality was over and beyond what you would expect from someone you just met. He even gave me a blue jay feather to put in my hat.
Very sad to hear. May he rest in peace.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Living on the west coast I only knew him through everyone's posts here. Even with that little bit of knowledge it was obvious he was held in high regard as a person and a musician. I was always a little bit jealous that we didn't have someone like him on the west coast. RIP.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Just chatted with Annette. He's being cremated. No service but a possible celebration of life in the spring.

·
Administrator
17,366 Posts
I only managed to make it up there once but have followed all the stories avidly. What a great couple to do what they did. I know he'll be sadly missed by many here. RIP Gerry!

·
Premium Member
14,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My bandmates came up with me to jam there a few times and also wish to express their condolences.

From Leo, our drummer;
He was always so welcoming when he saw me and always gave me a hug and made time to chat. You can tell that he was such a genuine soul. Wish I got to see him more. May he rest In peace.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,601 Posts
I'm very saddend to hear this.

I remember him and Annette dancing at about 2:00 AM at Riff Wrath as I was singing an old Stanley Brothers song called Who Will Sing for Me. One of the lines was: "When I am called across that silent sea. Who will sing for me."

Very saddened, and a big sense of loss.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear this news. I understand Gerry (Riff Wrath) was a respected and well liked member here and a swell fellow. I never was able to make to any of his legendary jam sessions. Always was on my list.
My condolences to all his friends here and of course his family.
Pete

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am crushed. Gerry was one of the kindest, most generous souls I have ever met. Twice a year, a community of strangers would gather at the farm just for the love of playing music together. I remember how far it was out of my comfort zone to go to the first jam, but the nerves went away as soon as Gerry and a few of what became the "regulars" greeted me. Somehow, without really being intrusive, Gerry managed to spread a calming spirit over the proceedings and we all left our egos out back of the barn and just played together. Connections and friendships were created; good food and beers (and some other things) were consumed, and life-long memories were made.

Annette, I am so very sorry for your loss. Small comfort though it may be, please always know that Gerry made a real difference to the amount of joy in this world, not just on the jam weekends but long after.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts