The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Yo.
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to adjust the truss rod. The adjustment nut snapped. I wasn't even turning it that hard. Turns out the damn rod was rusty, which probably weakened it significantly. I now have a really expensive paperweight.

So. I'm thinking if I want to repair it, it'll need to have the fretboard lifted, and a new truss rod installed. Can anyone recommend me a good place to get it done? Is it even worth it, as in it won't cost me the price of a new LPC?

L

·
0 Posts
That sucks.
I had a MIJ LP with that happening to me.
I replaced it myself.
To take off the fretboard, I heated a butter knife and gradually slid/worked it under the board to melt the glue.
Some U-tube vids use an iron and scrapper.
Call a few stores to get an estimate.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
What's your location?
There's 2 guys in Peterborough that can do that.
Martin bell and Wayne at from Hank to Hendrix.

12th fret in Toronto.

It won't be cheap.
You are probably looking at a refret & refinish of the neck as well.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
That sucks man :(

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Scary stuff but a pro can bring it back to life. There are many abled luthiers in town but I've only dealt with a few and for this type of repair, I would go to the 12th Fret. It may take a bit more time but they have a group of highly skilled people and they will provide you with the best option(s) for the repair.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
it's not worth it!!! Just give the guitar away since it's garbage now. I'll pm you my address!

But really if it's too expensive to fix, the parts are quite cheap and YouTube has everything. May turn into a fun project.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
The good news being, if the neck does require refinishing post-repair, black is definitely the easiest to colour match. I'm fortunate in that, if it were me, I could simply turn the whole thing over to my dad and he'd repair it from start to finish. You may have nothing to lose by trying the DIY via You-tube method first however. Regardless, good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Freddy's Frets Niagara on the Lakr

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Man, that sucks. Hopefully you can find someone competent at the repairs. I am no help otherwise as I was born and raised on the prairies, don't know a soul in Ontario.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
It's definitely doable & as @Lord-Humongous mentioned SOP for Kim Lafleur at HM, but not something that I would attempt myself on a guitar of that value. Besides Brian Monty, the other guys on my short list for a repair of this magnitude are Mike Spicer at The Peghead in Hamilton (he was pretty backed up), Tom Bartlett in Guelph & Alastair Miller in T.O.

This is a very feeble attempt to put a positive spin on a $hitty situation, but this is a chance to have a skilled luthier turbo-charge your guitar & have him upgrade any other parts (bridge, harness, pickups etc.) that might benefit. "While you're in there...."

·
Yo.
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called 12th Fret and they said pending a look over, they might be able to scrape away some of the wood and expose the thread on the rod again, then screw the adjustment nut back in. Sounds MUCH better than peeling the fretboard off.

If I do have to peel the fretboard off, I was considering Historic Makeovers. They pull the fretboards off all the time, and I could get a refin done.

The guitar's already modded with ReWind Electric Vintage Pulls HBs that sound incredible. Plus, when it wasn't broken, the action and playability was the best of my entire collection. This alone is why I'm dropping money on this guitar, otherwise, I'd do a DIY to learn or possibly just sell it off super cheap.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Hope the 12th fret can do it for you. Sorry to hear about your guitar issue. The fix will add that much more Mojo to it though, if that's worth anything.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
it seems scarier than it really is. i have seen several people with no more experience than most of us pull fretboards and replace them, doing a good job. for a skilled luthier, it's not a big deal at all. fear not

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I pulled a fret board and steamed off a neck of an acoustic. Never done either before. Give it a shot. its not something where you can really make it worse. I don't see why you would need to replace the frets or board. Just the truss rod.

But, before you do anything else, post a good pic of the break. You might be able to remove a bit of wood and re-thread the truss rod.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I think Brian Mascarin at Musicality lives in Brampton

he does topnotch work

his shop is near Allen rd/Eglington

1 - 20 of 39 Posts