The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,779 Posts
Thank you for the music you gave us Mr. Coryell.

This is his advice to musicians...along with some of his wonderful playing:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Did he use one of those Yamaha amps with a flat speaker in the early seventies? He sat on the amp if I remember correctly. When asked what other gear he wanted, he said he wanted an ashtray built into his amp.

Wish I could remember the title of his first album. It made quite an impression in our little northern mining town.

All this goes back over fourty-five years. I have not kept up with his career. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
26,627 Posts
I saw him back in the 70's. I think it was with the Eleventh House at the El Mocambo. Great player. Both ahead of his time, and deeply respectful of the past. I think his son is a musician as well. They just had an article on him and his latest album in the new issue of VIntage Guitar I got in the mail on Friday. Jeez, 2017 is starting to shape up to be as bad as 2016.

Prior to joining up with Gary Burton, Coryell was known for his role in one of the first legitimate jazz-rock bands, called The Free Spirits. After he left, that band more or less morphed in to a band called Everything is Everthing, which people of a certain age will know for their singular hit Witchi Tai To; one of the first, if not THE first and only, hit single with indigenous lyrics, purportedly a peyote chant that writer JIm Pepper got from his grandad.

Here's the Free Sprits in reunion, doing a tribute to JIm Pepper, and a different rendition of Witchi Tai To.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Sad indeed
Condolences to his family & friends...

·
Premium Member
26,627 Posts
Here's part of a 2013 show, doing an old 11th House tune. Coryell's son Julian is also on guitar and he's a pretty damn hot player himself. Maybe not the best or most nimble performance by Larry, but great to see a father and son jam. Looks like his dad taught him well.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
RIP Mr. Coryell.

I remember him as one of the early innovators of fusion. And I recall reading a number of articles or columns of his in 70's Guitar Player mags. I still have those and should have a look back.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Rectangle Font Leather Fashion accessory
Yeah. I am confused. Heres the old Yamaha, but I found no mention of him using one. Never mind sitting on it. Lol!

Anyway, thanks for all the great fusion. I am getting caught up...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts