The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beatles recording engineer passed away today at the age of 72. He suffered a massive heart attack.

Rip sir!

TD

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
Lots of times we think of the sound of a recording as a product of the producer. The producer guides the ideas and approach for the recording. It's the engineer that makes it sound the way it does. People like Emerick, Tom Dowd, Roger Nichols, Eddie Kramer, Joe Meek, and Andy Johns, have fashioned what we think of as the sound of rock - the way that rock should sound. We've spent years enjoying the Beatles because of how George Martin guided the orchestration and ideas. But we've spent years trying to copy the sounds that Geoff Emerick was able to engineer for them.

Thanks for the tones, Geoff.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I agree with Mark. Geoff Emericks engineering (mic placement, etc.) was every bit as important to the Beatles as George Martins producing. R.I.P. Mr. Emerick.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi,
I am new here, and thought that this was a good thread for my first post.

While Geoff Emerick had a huge effect on The Fabs' sound, and apparently was a really nice guy (and will be sorely missed), it is important to remember that he was one of five recording main engineers (not counting assistant / second rec. engineers) who worked with The Beatles, and I think we should appreciate all of them in toto.

The other engineers were the late Norman 'Hurricane' Smith, Ken Scott, Phil McDonald, and Richard Lush.

Reactions: Kenmac
1 - 8 of 8 Posts