The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,229 Posts
"died suddenly". Always makes you wonder. Suicide? Aneurysm? Undiagnosed cardiac problem? Flu? Accidental head injury from a fall?

Of course, when someone is that young, it doesn't really matter what the reason. Even if she died pulling a preschooler off the train tracks, it's a damn shame.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
My wife is pretty upset. To me she's just another person who died, and it's no more a shame than any other death on the same day.

I know it's a dick thing to say, (and I do mean no disrespect, since there are certainly people close to her that are grieving), but this whole fame thing is getting worse and worse and I wish we'd stop deifying celebs/singers.

The only reason I'm venting a bit for this particular passing is because my wife was talking to me about it, and I responded with my usual apathy - which didn't go so well (until I made a Zombie crack).

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
too young indeed...I was just thinking about their music the other week (hadn't in years).

haven't followed them much lately.
surprised that Sinead has outlived her.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife is pretty upset. To me she's just another person who died, and it's no more a shame than any other death on the same day.

I know it's a dick thing to say, (and I do mean no disrespect, since there are certainly people close to her that are grieving), but this whole fame thing is getting worse and worse and I wish we'd stop deifying celebs/singers.

The only reason I'm venting a bit for this particular passing is because my wife was talking to me about it, and I responded with my usual apathy - which didn't go so well (until I made a Zombie crack).
I don't see a brief "in memorium" post or share on social media as in itself, deifying celebs/singers. Though, I do acknowledge that it happens.
When people are touched by another's creation (art/music etc) there is potential for a connection that feels pretty much as real as a direct one with people you know personally. I'd bet many on this forum have a special relationship with the music they like and it's with them at key moments of their life.

If said, creation is a regular part of one's life they'll feel the sense of loss when the creator dies. I think people are mourning the loss of a part of themselves in a way. To simply commemorate and acknowledge feeling bad about it isn't a disrespect for the scores of people who also die on the same day. We simply haven't had the connection to the people we've never encountered on any level to feel the loss.... thankfully! Who could handle that!?

Reactions: davetcan

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
Well I wanted to say drugs, but I don't know what happened yet.
I knew what you meant.
Although re-reading my post, it sounds like I could be using slang for something else..."see that girl over there? I gave her the D last weekend". :)
taking out the code, in the absence of info, my mind went to wondering if it was suicide or cancer....drug overdose is something I associate with the curse of 27, not 46, unless theyre already widely known to have sever addiction problems.

but no point in speculating. eventually it will come out, but weird things happen. a friend of a friend died unexpectedly in his late 20's of "natural causes", so who knows.....no ones guaranteed to make it to old age.

·
Registered
12,098 Posts
I knew what you meant.
Although re-reading my post, it sounds like I could be using slang for something else..."see that girl over there? I gave her the D last weekend". :)
taking out the code, in the absence of info, my mind went to wondering if it was suicide or cancer....drug overdose is something I associate with the curse of 27, not 46, unless theyre already widely known to have sever addiction problems.

but no point in speculating. eventually it will come out, but weird things happen. a friend of a friend died unexpectedly in his late 20's of "natural causes", so who knows.....no ones guaranteed to make it to old age.
I had an aunt go the same way at 44. Standing on the driveway watching the stretcher and body bag come out of the house is something I'll never forget.

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
Speculation means squat without verifiable facts.
spec·u·la·tion
ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: speculation; plural noun: speculations
  1. 1.
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"

·
Registered
962 Posts

I get you. Yes, sad for those who are personally connected but I feel no more for "famous" people than any other. I have no personal connection to them and none have them have influenced, altered, touched or otherwise intervened in my life in a personal, meaningful way. Maybe I am cold, but I don't get those who get so distraught over celebrity deaths, Kurt Cobain etc etc.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts