The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

RIP Chester Beninngton of Linkin Park

931 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  mhammer 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Wasn't he with sto e temple pilots? I was always confused about the 2 singer deal that Linkin Park had going on. So one guy can actually sing but you need a screamer for the heavy shit?

I can feel his motives without even knowing them but could never do that to my kid/family. Some just want an easy way out.

Reactions: Diablo
#9 ·
This is very sad! No one knows what mental suffering he was experiencing! He had issues with drugs and alcohol but he was also sexually abused growing up. Unless you have walked a mile in his shoes no one is in a position to be judgemental.

Now he doesn't have to face any more demons!

RIP

#11 ·
We should tell each other that there is indeed someone who would listen and be a friend. Even amongst ourselves here. If ever anyone needed a sounding board, I'd sign up to help out.

There's like 12,000 registered memebers here. That's 2/3 the pop of collingwood. It would be like volunteer hours.

I pray that no one ever be in that depth of despair. I vouch to assist by whatever way I can.

#12 ·
Substance-abuse issues tend to be treated as distinct from depression in the rock music world. I guess because we treat "benders" as fundamentally party behaviour, and the wretched excess that we associate with youth and money. In the clinical world, however, they are dyed-in-the-wool symptoms of depression. Whether they accompany depression, are caused by depression or precipitate depression, intervention is still required, if only because substance abuse tends to worsen their situation. When someone prefers a state of intoxication to being alert and connected to the world, it's time to start inquiring what the world and state of mind is that the person would rather not be connected to.

As I've noted before, the showbiz industry tends to reward and encourage impulsiveness. As much as those who attempt or commit suicide may have had thoughts about it earlier, or talked about it for a while, fundamentally it is an impulsive act that people generally do in private, where their impulsiveness can go unchecked, and where abusable substances can cloud their thinking. It's a damn shame every time it happens.

#13 ·
Keep it classy Moosehead. Exactly what "motives" can you feel? Did you know the guy?

RIP and best wishes to his family.
I think you may be reading to much into that word...I took it to mean "reasons" or "driving factors", and I don't see that as offensive.

Reactions: Moosehead
#14 ·
Now he doesn't have to face any more demons!
This is the kind of shit I hate...makes it sound like its some sort of rational solution or relief worth considering.

Dont read below if youre here for a pity party...Im not referring to Chester Bennington specifically, as I frankly know very little about the man. But in fairness, for many, he will now be defined by his final act, not his life.
I personally agree with Scott Weilands wife when she discouraged ppl on the internet for glorifying his suicide. It does ppl contemplating it a disservice, as though the outpouring of grief afterwards is some sort of reward. Suicide should be stigmatized, for what it is, a stupid, cowardly, waste of life that selfishly transfers whatever emotional hardships youre experiencing to everyone around you and burdens them with lifelong misery.
getting help to prevent it is what should be applauded and de-stigmatized. we need better mental health support in north America and more openness about the topic.

#15 ·
getting help to prevent it is what should be applauded and de-stigmatized. we need better mental health support in north America and more openness about the topic.
Could not agree more. Ironic, isn't it, that some performers can be glorified for acting like an ass onstage or offstage, but scorned or marginalized for seeking help when that may be the bravest thing they do in their whole life. Sometimes showbiz has its priorities wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.