The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
As a young teen in Montreal, I used to listen to a Sunday late-night jazz show from WHAM Rochester, that I could get on my little transistor radio. As an AM station, naturally reception drifted. Just adjacent to WHAM on the dial was WWVA (50,000 watts from Wheeling, West Virginia) and another station whose call letters and location I forget. But WWVA is at 1170 and WHAM is at 1180,with the third station just a bit higher than 1180 on the dial. The jazz show (The Best of All Possible Worlds, with Hal Abrahams.) ran concurrent with the Billy Graham Hour of Decision on the other two stations, which were each about 30 seconds out of sync with each other. As the tuning would drift upwards and downwards, the radio would drift from funky organ solos by Jimmy McGriff and Jimmy Smith, to Billy Graham declaring "Verily, I say unto you...!", back through more of the organ solo to Billy Graham repeating what he had just said a half minute ago, back through the tune outro, to Billy Graham again.

It was a surreal experience. But you have to suffer for jazz.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
As a young teen in Montreal, I used to listen to a Sunday late-night jazz show from WHAM Rochester, that I could get on my little transistor radio. As an AM station, naturally reception drifted. Just adjacent to WHAM on the dial was WWVA (50,000 watts from Wheeling, West Virginia) and another station whose call letters and location I forget. But WWVA is at 1170 and WHAM is at 1180,with the third station just a bit higher than 1180 on the dial. The jazz show (The Best of All Possible Worlds, with Hal Abrahams.) ran concurrent with the Billy Graham Hour of Decision on the other two stations, which were each about 30 seconds out of sync with each other. As the tuning would drift upwards and downwards, the radio would drift from funky organ solos by Jimmy McGriff and Jimmy Smith, to Billy Graham declaring "Verily, I say unto you...!", back through more of the organ solo to Billy Graham repeating what he had just said a half minute ago, back through the tune outro, to Billy Graham again.

It was a surreal experience. But you have to suffer for jazz.
I had similar experiences with the transistor under my pillow. Inevitably for me the offending station was WBZ Boston. I was not a Bruins fan!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
what ever happened to the Filmore East/West, and Winterland anyway?

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Because we list people (usually celebrities) who have died.

If Charles Manson can get a RIP thread, then Billy Graham should.
meh....makes no sense to me. Memorial threads should be for those we appreciate/will miss.
Billy graham is about the least rock n roll guy I can think of, even compared to crazy Charlie.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
meh....makes no sense to me. Memorial threads should be for those we appreciate/will miss.
Billy graham is about the least rock n roll guy I can think of, even compared to crazy Charlie.
I don't appreciate nor will miss Charlie either.

P

·
0 Posts
hey wth, i posted something here yesterday and it disappeared. I see the person who I replied to deleted his msg, but where's mine?
I am replying to your post so you will know that you do still exist.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
hey wth, i posted something here yesterday and it disappeared. I see the person who I replied to deleted his msg, but where's mine?
some sensitive softie reported it and the posts got deleted, they won’t show or speak up but now that they had someone do their bidding they will sleep better at night

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
One of the late night comedians opined: "If heaven loved him so much, why did they take so long to take him." Valid question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts