Premium Member
17,365 Posts
Dont forget her activist work.

RIP to a true legend.

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Truly sad news. A legend. Always represented and supported the Motor City. My favourite tune from the QoS.

[video]

Some familiar faces in this one.

[video]

·
Premium Member
25,139 Posts
In the history of music, I don't know that there can be a more perfect single/45 than "Since You've Been Gone" B/W "Ain't No Way". Either side can be considered the B side of the other. The entire spectrum of human emotions is covered in those two songs. And while the production and backing musicians certainly help to make them that perfect, it is the leadership of her voice - not simply power, but leadership - that turns them into the tour de force that they are.

One of my favourite moments from her career was when she was called on to pinch hit at the last minute for an out of commission Luciano Pavarotti at the 1998 Grammies to sing one of the most beautiful arias ever written - Nessun Dorma. I remember watching it at the time, and being transfixed. Suddenly, blues was opera and opera was blues, and none of the labels and categories mattered anymore. It was all just the connection between heart and voice, and mastery of one's instrument. I don't know that it gets any more soulful.

A catalog and legacy that will survive many years. "Hey nineteen, that's 'Retha Franklin."

·
Premium Member
25,139 Posts
Truly sad news. A legend. Always represented and supported the Motor City. My favourite tune from the QoS.

[video]

Some familiar faces in this one.

[video]
I have that album, and for some reason, well before we had news of any serious illness on her part, I had pulled it out to play and provide some "motivation music". Great production throughout by Narada Michael Walden (seen on the drums).

Question: It passes pretty quickly, but there is a brief scene on the bridge in the video, where people are clearly passing through a toll booth. Are those Canadians driving to Detroit, Americans driving to Windsor, or is there some other toll bridge within the Detroit area?

·
Registered
433 Posts
It's amazing that she survived as long as she did since she was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer 8 years ago. Most people diagnosed with this terrible disease survive 8-12 months max.

RIP Aretha.

TD

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Damn!!! RIP in Queen of Soul.

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Someone at The Journal’s up for firing. Her pic is top of front page. Below is the headline ‘BRING OUT YOUR DEAD’, pertaining to the story below that. Tacky.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts