The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a member of a few musician based forums. Like a lot of us I grew up in the 70's and started my own family in the 80's. My musical education was protest folk, orchestral rock, pre classic rock. Something has happened to a lot of my musical peers. They grew up with peace love and groovey only to age into right wing, get off my lawn grumpy old men. I like to think it's easier to be funny if you're always taking the more righteous side of popular topics but I could be wrong and a lot of my musician friends have simply become their parents.
(I probably used the term "oxymoron" wrong. It's early)

P

·
0 Posts
Mama let that boy play some rock and roll
Jazz is much too crazy, he can play it when he's old
He's too young for the blues, he's still inside his first pair of shoes
He's just a baby

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
As I get older I hate being left no choice but to pick from one extreme or the other or nothing politically. I think that's the root of most people's contempt with politics. It certainly is mine.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Some of us grow up and dont just automatically oppose the views of our parents like spoiled brats but better understand where they were coming from, and respect the validity of them.
I think once you lived some years, earned some money, paid your taxes, no longer associate with shiftless deadbeats and counterculture types, maybe even have kids of your own that you want to raise, protect and provide a future for, its not unusual to see some of the points of the more conservative side.

It reminds me of a story I read about Charles Barkley...he was talking about politics with his wife, who was surprised he was going to vote republican (this was pre-Obama lol)...she said "why? theyre only for the rich!" and he said something like "But I am rich!".

fwiw, I grew up with hard rock metal in the 80s...politics wasn't really a big part of it. Our parents generation on the right or left despised us pretty much equally.

Besides, conservative vs liberal isn't clearly black and white....Many conservatives like myself may feel "right" on some issues and "left" on the others,...but our political spectrum forces you to pick a side. Right or left, once you've become so entrenched in an ideology that you think the other side has no valid points or perspective and is unworthy of respect, you should consider yourself a brainless automaton, and your perpective may not be as compelling to others when they realize this.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Left and right, Conservative and Liberal (capitalized) are:

a) false dualities for those that are too lazy to observe, think, and reason with any rationality;

b) now have zero meaning (ie randomly arranged and empty letters of the alphabet) and, in fact, have a net evil effect on Western societies by confusing the masses implied in a) towards power and corruption goals of the few whom we shall call “politicians” for lack of other random letters to use.

Discussing these two sets of dualities is utterly meaningless. Reason out the issues directly, stop “belonging”. Humans are everything in every dimension, you shouldn’t bleed for everyone, but you should bleed for some.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Left and right, Conservative and Liberal (capitalized) are:

a) false dualities for those that are too lazy to observe, think, and reason with any rationality;

b) now have zero meaning (ie randomly arranged and empty letters of the alphabet) and, in fact, have a net evil effect on Western societies by confusing the masses implied in a) towards power and corruption goals of the few whom we shall call “politicians” for lack of other random letters to use.

Discussing these two sets of dualities is utterly meaningless. Reason out the issues directly, stop “belonging”. Humans are everything in every dimension, you shouldn’t bleed for everyone, but you should bleed for some.

Reactions: davetcan

·
Registered
464 Posts
When you're young you're all for helping others and believe a lot of life isn't fair.

As you get older and see many of your tax dollars go to waste enabling those who don't want to work or have a sense of entitlement....one begins to see the world a little differently.

·
Administrator
16,460 Posts
When you're young you're all for helping others and believe a lot of life isn't fair.

As you get older and see many of your tax dollars go to waste enabling those who don't want to work or have a sense of entitlement....one begins to see the world a little differently.
You only have to listen to Wynne making $8 Billion worth of promises with other peoples money to understand this. They've had 15 years to enact these policies, instead she's just squandered billions of dollars on pet projects and scandal. Is health care in better shape than when they took power? The environment? Roads? Education? How are those hydro bills? Insurance costs dropped 15%?

None of the above. Instead Ontario is now the most indebted sub sovereign state, with twice as much debt as California but 1/3 of the population.

This should be in the Political Forum but I'll bow out if the rest of you can keep it focused on Conservative musicians :)

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
It seems that for all of my life someone is always coming along with a promise to make the world a better place and they reach in to my pocket to make it happen. When I was younger it didn't matter so much because I was gonna be rich and my life was gonna be wonderful. Now, I'm where I am and I have what I have and even though I'm happy I know my road and I know that the money out of my pocket didn't do what it was supposed to do.

So, stop with the promises already and leave me to my road. No political party has ever really made that big a difference - so I vote for the one who seems to respect my money the most. I wish it were Libertarian - but it's not. The closest thing is Conservative.

Seriously, screw them all and give me a island.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts