1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
I just want it to be axe fx II's tbh

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Haven’t done the whole hour yet but have seen many shorter segments that have popped up. Loving all of it. Must force myself to NOT look at comments. “The Edge doesn’t know how to play guitar!” Yeah buddy? Show me your list of world wide hits.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Holy OCD. Edge is a guitar players guitar player through and through. Absolutely brilliant. And what a tech he has. Hats of to John Bollinger too. Thanks for the video. Fun to watch.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
23 guitars for 26 songs? I like U2 but that's just silly. My sister and I saw them right after the first album and he used one guitar. I doubt there is more than 0.0001% of people listening who could tell the difference. Oh well...I guess you can be as silly as you want when you are a billionaire rock star.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
23 guitars for 26 songs? I like U2 but that's just silly. My sister and I saw them right after the first album and he used one guitar. I doubt there is more than 0.0001% of people listening who could tell the difference. Oh well...I guess you can be as silly as you want when you are a billionaire rock star.
One man's silly is another man's genius. Dude's got ears.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
In this scenario, if you can you should. Bonamassa and Richards have the right idea.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Ain't it funny how the stuff that put U2 on the map was basic. I have seen video's of his current concert rig and it is just stupid. Using a bunch of digital patches etc depending on the song. Any guitar will do they will all sound the same it just has to generate a signal.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I watched U2 Live for their Joshua Tree tour 2017 in Dublin (Youtube). Every guitar he used adds a distinct feel, texture, and tone to each individual song. Seems to me that the effects remain standard ....with tweaks ...(for his style lol) and he gets a lot of his soundscape from the guitars he's using. Just an observation. And I'm not even a big U2 fan. Maybe I hear things differently than others do.

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Makes my head hurt.

Interesting guy with an interesting approach to the guitar. Maybe the magnitude of his gear-itis is not my thing entirely, but I like the band and his role in it.

Would that there were more musicians who were as original.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a cool I show I just found, the video ins't that great but still a great show. No bling just pure U2! I'm suprised how Bono can still hit those high notes! It starts with a lot of real early hits.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
Haven’t done the whole hour yet but have seen many shorter segments that have popped up. Loving all of it. Must force myself to NOT look at comments. “The Edge doesn’t know how to play guitar!” Yeah buddy? Show me your list of world wide hits.
Yes, he seems to be polarizing. A lot of players think he has no chops at all while hardcore U2 fans think he don't get no respect, no respect. And never the twain shall meet.

I had a U2 fan get seriously in my face one night because I wouldn't proclaim him the next Guthrie Govan. The nice thing is: The Edge has it all well in perspective. His comments on his own playing in "This Might Get Loud" were salient, to say the least.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Really cool video... an hour not wasted...

I always thought that in many ways The Edge is to guitar playing like Ringo is to drumming... Both are denigrated as less than god-tier masters of their instruments, yet both are absolutely an essential element of their band, and they're deservedly iconic for that reason, if no other...

·
Registered
11,675 Posts
I think the idea behind the army of guitars is just as much for show as it is for sound, you're paying to see a spectacle, why not include a gear fashion parade?

·
Registered
492 Posts
The guitar tech talked about all the amps being hand wired and how this was important for tone. I thought that was a myth. If so it came across to me as rather ignorant on his part. As I open up the can of worms, I summon mhammer who I think has talked about this in the past.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
The guitar tech talked about all the amps being hand wired and how this was important for tone. I thought that was a myth.
It's an opinion - his. I don't share it. Doesn't make either of us wrong. Vive le difference.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's an opinion - his. I don't share it. Doesn't make either of us wrong. Vive le difference.
I agree with the attitude for most things. But, when there really should be an objective way to look at this issue that conclusively demonstrates clear results, I no longer think it's an opinion. I thought it had been conclusively demonstrated that hand wired does not enhance tone. My understanding is that hand wired may make it easier to mod, or to do repairs, but that's pretty much it.

·
Premium Member
12,217 Posts
I agree with the attitude for most things. But, when there really should be an objective way to look at this issue that conclusively demonstrates clear results, I no longer think it's an opinion. I thought it had been conclusively demonstrated that hand wired does not enhance tone. My understanding is that hand wired may make it easier to mod, or to do repairs, but that's pretty much it.
That is my understanding (hw easier to repair/mod). And I understand that point my be important for some people. 'Easier' doesn't matter much to me - I've had lots of training and experience in working on PCB. I've repaired and/or modded every PCB amp I've owned. Fortunately, the Roadster I owned didn't need any repairs and it's gone now. It woulda been a beast to work on. Not impossible, just difficult.

I have yet to see conclusive proof that hw makes a better sounding amp. Lots of claims by self-professed tone gurus. Don't mean a thing to me. That is just opinion until someone can provide a solid double blind test proving it. Hasn't happened yet.

Eric Johnson believes he can hear an interconnect running one direction vs the other. I believe he has an amazingly strong case of confirmation bias. A lot of pros also like to misdirect fans to keep their own 'special sauce' special. Remember the whole 'Van Halen using a variac to increase the voltage to get the brown sound'? Turned out he was decreasing the voltage to get earlier saturation. But he didn't want any of his hard-earned trade secrets published for the all the riff-raff (i.e. his fans) to read and copy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts