The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching those Anderton's "sound like X without busting the bank" videos and it got me thinking it would be fun to see what sort of rigs people put together at specific price points in Canuck bucks. When I was on a computer-building forum, we used to do this kind of thing and it often gave other users some good ideas on what to build into their machines. Anyone want to play?

Rules:
1) New prices. Let's use Long & McQuade or another large retailer (no, @Steadfastly, we're not shipping from Sweetwater/Musician's Friend to the border). Sale prices are allowed.

2) No used gear. New stuff from the store. I know we're all bargain-hunters, but to keep things on a level field, new pricing for this game.

3) You need to be able to play through the rig (so...don't buy an electric guitar and nothing to plug into)

4) Pre-tax (let's not mess with differences across provinces and stuff)

That's it.

Shall we have categories? How about:

Budget: up to $500
Low: up to $1000
Medium: up to $2000
High: up to $5000
Luxury: up to $10000
Dream: No limit - build your dream

You don't have to do them all. Pick one and have fun.

Who's in?

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll go first as I was trying this yesterday.

Category: Medium
Amp: Traynor YGL-1 - $749.99
Guitar: Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Maple - 779.99
Pedals:
Soul Food - $94.99
RAT - $104.99
MXR Phase 90 - $112.99
EHX Memory Boy - $141.99

Total: $1984.94

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I was watching those Anderton's "sound like X without busting the bank" videos and it got me thinking it would be fun to see what sort of rigs people put together at specific price points in Canuck bucks. When I was on a computer-building forum, we used to do this kind of thing and it often gave other users some good ideas on what to build into their machines. Anyone want to play?

Rules:
1) New prices. Let's use Long & McQuade or another large retailer (no, @Steadfastly, we're not shipping from Sweetwater/Musician's Friend to the border). Sale prices are allowed.

2) No used gear. New stuff from the store. I know we're all bargain-hunters, but to keep things on a level field, new pricing for this game.

3) You need to be able to play through the rig (so...don't buy an electric guitar and nothing to plug into)

4) Pre-tax (let's not mess with differences across provinces and stuff)

That's it.

Shall we have categories? How about:

Budget: up to $500
Low: up to $1000
Medium: up to $2000
High: up to $5000
Luxury: up to $10000
Dream: No limit - build your dream

You don't have to do them all. Pick one and have fun.

Who's in?

Awwwwwwwwwww.........:D

Reactions: hollowbody and jdto
G

·
Unfortunately, what I want is discontinued and a limited run. So I'd have to get it used.

Warwick Jack Bruce Cream Reunion Bass

I'll stick with my Markbass amp or get a 210 extension cab.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't have to be a "what I want", it could just be "this is a cool/affordable rig I'd like to have or would put together for my buddy" or even "If I won the lottery, I'd buy..."

Under $500
Guitar:
Yamaha Pacifica PAC012 - $249.99
Amp: Orange Crush 20 - $249.99
Total: $499.98

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this for gigging or home use. I don't think I could put together a giggable rig for $1000 even.
I think that’s up to you. You can designate it as a home rig at the specified price, or try to challenge yourself and see if you could put something gig-worthy together for that budget.

The goal is just to see different ideas on how to use a certain budget. It might give other users ideas or spark inspiration/discussion.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
$1000

I would get a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified tele ($520) and a 100 watt Katana ($470). Cheap clip on tuner for $10. I could gig that rig. I wouldn't love it, but I could gig it.

In reality, of course, I would get twice that level used for $1000. Or buy that stuff used for around $700?

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Category: Medium
Amp: Traynor YGL-1 - $749.99
Guitar: Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Maple - 779.99
Pedals:
Soul Food - $94.99
RAT - $104.99
MXR Phase 90 - $112.99
EHX Memory Boy - $141.99

Total: $1984.94
It’s surprising how little you can get for $2k these days. It makes me feel better about all the $$$ I have tied up in gear.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
It’s surprising how little you can get for $2k these days. It makes me feel better about all the $$$ I have tied up in gear.
I've got at least double that in my pedalboard :(

Reactions: jdto and colchar

·
Registered
12,880 Posts
well, i'll play.
i have my ideal budget rig already, but i don't know how much i have invested in it. under $2k i think.
2014 studio pro LP
vht special 6 (not the ultra)
fuchs 1x12 w/greenback
polytune, ocd fulltone, fiery red horse (the most bad-ass fuzz ever made in all of history) vfe blueprint, deja-vibe

but my dream rig? approx $8500
johnny A hardtail in sunburst flame - $5k
mesa tc50 head $1500
4x10 lonestar cab $1000
polytune, ocd, fiery red horse, h9max (about $1k including board & p.s.)

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Mine......

A Godin Session Custom w/TriplePlay
Yamaha Stagepas Portable PA system

This is a simple system to many but with triple play, a player won't be searching for tone and the Yamaha matches nicely giving you as true a sound as the TriplePlay produces.

About $2400.00

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I'll play.

Medium - $2000

Fender Classic '60s Tele - $1079.99
Vox AC15C1 - $849.99
Boss SD1 - $59.99
Rotosound Yellows (to replace the stock Fender strings) - $6.99
Total - $1996.96
Left Over - $3.04

By the way @jdto - read this thread:

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php...-seriously-i-really-mean-it-this-time.220929/

Now think about what idea this thread of yours has put into my brain. I was done. Seriously, I was completely done. Now I am scouring the L&M webpage considering a Classic '50s Tele ya prick!

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I’m going to make an entry into the “High” category. I can’t believe how fast one can burn through $5k!

American Professional Tele $1899
68’ Custom Princeton Reverb $1179
PolyTune Mini $130
Fulltone Déjà Vibe $260
Bogner La Grange $350?
Ernie Ball VP Jr $139
Strymon Timeline $560
Strymon Ojai R30 $190
Temple Audio Duo17 kit $260

That’s $4,967

1 - 20 of 26 Posts