The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why this model (660) doesn’t have the iconic ´R’ tailpiece as used on other models?

Is one tailpiece better than the other?

If you own a Rick that did not have the ‘R’ tailpiece, did you convert it with the available kit? Any comments to share regarding this are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
The 660 has the Trapeze tailpiece which is much more user friendly when changing the strings plus it's much stronger and won't explode as the R-type tailpiece tends to do. Plus the R style is a bitch when changing the strings especially if the guitar is a 12-string.

I'd suggest you Google "exploding Rickenbacker tailpiece" and you'll see lots of photos and comments from people who have their opinions of the R type.

I've personally owned both and wouldn't touch another RIC guitar with the R-type tailpiece again.

TD

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 660 has the Trapeze tailpiece which is much more user friendly when changing the strings plus it's much stronger and won't explode as the R-type tailpiece tends to do. Plus the R style is a bitch when changing the strings especially if the guitar is a 12-string.

I'd suggest you Google "exploding Rickenbacker tailpiece" and you'll see lots of photos and comments from people who have their opinions of the R type.

I've personally owned both and wouldn't touch another RIC guitar with the R-type tailpiece again.

TD
Thanks, I’ve never heard of this issue.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've owned several Ricks, both recent and vintage, and have never had a problem with the R tailpiece falling apart, although I have a friend whose 330-12 has gone through three of them. He finally had our luthier friend build a trapeze style tailpiece that's working out well. Of course, his Rick 12 was one of the worst ones I've ever played. For years, he refused to have it set up properly. He'd bring it on a gig and it would be out of tune in 90 seconds. I think he finally got it straightened out.

I lucked out about twelve years ago and bought a slightly used 330-12 in AutumnGlo from a guy on the Rick forum for $800. It's the best Rick 12 I've ever played, and others who have played it say the same thing. It goes with me on every gig. I installed toaster pickups on it. Being a major Byrds/Beatles/Petty/60's jangle rock guy, having a Rick 12 is a necessity.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
That is a 660/12, and they are great guitars. They have a slightly wider nut width than the other Ric 12 strings. As a result many people find them easier to play than the 330/12, 360/12, etc.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
The 660 has that tailpiece because it is basically the Tom Petty signature guitar with out his signature... and that is the tailpiece he spec’d out.

I didn’t like that tailpiece when I was younger in the 1990s when the Petty model came out... but as I’ve aged and become more refined, I now prefer it. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.