The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
As sad as it is to lose these musicians, recently Eddie Money, I have to admit this one hits me hard. I've been a huge Cars fan since the late 70's. They were always, and still are, my second favourite band after The Beatles. I've been lucky enough to see them in concert twice, the first time at Exhibition Stadium in 1980 and the second time at the Docks in 2011. When they broke up in 1988 I was disappointed and figured I'd never hear Cars songs again, even though Ric was still doing solo albums, it wasn't quite the same. But when they got back together after 24 years (!) and put out a new album, Move Like This, sadly, minus bassist Ben Orr who passed away from pancreatic cancer in 2000, I was thrilled. I was always hoping they'd do at least one more album but now, sadly, that won't happen. There's no replacement for Ric Ocasek. He was so unique and talented. I'm glad they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year. They deserved it. All I can say is R.I.P. Ric.

·
Registered
24,009 Posts
He led a great band and had a productive career. Often viewed as part of "the new wave" of the early '80s, I think The Cars had a decidedly "American" flavour, distinct from what Britain was providing.

75 is not what we think of as a "long" life these days, but it gave him more than enough time to get a lot done, not the least of which was have 6 sons, the eldest of which was born in 1964 (!!!)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Very sad news. The Cars were cool. That first album was one of the most enjoyable debut albums I remember. Loved their unique sound.

·
Premium Member
8,502 Posts
As seen by the response here, they were pretty damned popular. I had a good friend in high school who was on a traveling swim team, came home with the first record before it was a big hit. I dug it immediately, and wore the grooves out of a copy, and the next.

RIP RO, thanks for the music that was important in my life!

·
Registered
24,009 Posts
These days, Cars keyboardist Greg Hawkes tends to gig as part of Todd Rundgren's band. Todd will often cover some Cars tunes. Ocasek produced an album for Buell, who was Rundgren's better half for about 7 years until they split. So, one of those 6-degrees sort of things.

·
Registered
675 Posts
They were my fave band to listen to. They had their distinct sound. Rick had that unique quality in his voice. I can hear him...“You might think I’m crazy...”
I recall a tale, way back when music videos were the new rage, that Rick hit it off with a model who was hired for a music video they were cutting, they married, and he quit playing.
True, or B.S.? ...anyone?
Anyway, very sad news.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Condolences to the family. A band I was in covered a few of their songs a million years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,915 Posts
The Cars was my favourite band for a stretch of years listening to the records in my basement over and over again. I kind of tuned out after Heartbeat City. SO MANY great songs spanning years. RIP.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts