The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watching an old Todd Rundgren video, and Lyle Workman is playing something with a reverse headstock. That is an angled 6-on-a-side headstock oriented as if it was a left-handed guitar, but on a right-handed guitar; like what you see on a reverse Firebird.

I've never had the opportunity to compare reverse and non-reverse. Last time I tried a Firebird was the summer of 1971, so I wouldn't trust my memory of it.

Does the longer nut-to-tuner distance for bass strings actually DO anything, or is the reverse headstock simply to look cool? Not any sort of criticism. I'm just curious if any of you have ever had the opportunity to compare similar -and similarly-strung - guitars with reverse and non-reverse headstocks, and wondered if you had ever noticed any sort of tonal or sustain difference, or perhaps a difference in return-to-pitch for non-locking trems.

·
Premium Member
17,157 Posts
I think it's mostly aesthetic. I have some online friends who love their RH ibanez/jackson/charvel/ESP's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Washburn N4, a buddy of mine snapped one up for 100 bucks from a father selling his sons gear on a local cable sell/buy show.
Old guy said it was a Fender.

·
Premium Member
17,157 Posts
Is it less uncomfortable to tune, standing up, by approaching the tuners from the other side?
Its weird if you are used to tuning a normal inline headstock.

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting replies. Thanks, folks. I guess I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a left-handed neck.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Never liked the look of them and always felt awkward tuning them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's some hold over from the Hendrix era where people thought that part of his tone had to come from those bass strings being so far from nut to tuner. Like a pre-internet, pre-forum "thread" on whether tone is in the hands or the gear. ;)

P

·
0 Posts
I agree that the long bass strings make them more rubbery and better for stretching and other things I can't remember now. I thing the tuners on the wrong side would be good to aggravate carpel tunnel.

·
Premium Member
11,061 Posts
Well, it's a lot like the Hendrix feel I suppose.

I like the reversed tuners, it's just the same as 3 on a side except their are 6, or half a 12 string if you like, if you get my meaning.

The strings feel a little different with the reversed lengths above the nut. More sproinginess on the low strings. Yes, sproinginess.

Combined with a reversed angle on the bridge pickup and you have three of the essential elements of the Hendrix Strat.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I once put a left-handed neck on my right-handed Esquire but couldn’t change it back fast enough. The problem was that the fret marker dots along the top edge of the neck were on the bottom now because I was using a LH neck, essentially, upside down. That was the moment I realized just how much I rely on those markers.

·
Registered
14,880 Posts
Is it less uncomfortable to tune, standing up, by approaching the tuners from the other side?
I find it more awkward--but I have heard of others who woudl disagree...

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I don't tune my guitars so it wouldn't matter to me.:)

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a few with reversed headstocks, and they look good to me. In general, some guitars, it looks great, others...not so much. If it doesn't look good to me, I just don't buy it.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
I always thought it was a Jimi thing. Some people will do anything to capture a bit of his magic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts