The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Reverb Tank for Traynor YGM 3?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Brett Pearson 
#1 ·
Hi all from Michigan. I just bought a beautiful Traynor YGM 3 Guitar Mate in near mint/solid excellent shape, but needs a new reverb tank. The old tank is an Accutronics 1FB2B1B. After reading up on Accutronics' code system, I believe the ideal tank would be a 8FB3B1A. I assumed the tank size HAD to match ( a 16" will not fit in available space), as well as the input/output ohms and the connector configuration. Tank sits open side up, and a 3 spring, long decay would be nice. That said, what currently available tanks could I use? I have looked through codes on eBay, etc., until my head hurts. Need some experienced advice. This is a sweet amp, and nice tube reverb would really be cool.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Here's my two cents. Very non-technical.

I find the YGM3 reverb too long and too harsh.

Instead of direct replacement, try researching a tank with a shorter tail and a lower frequency response.

Just a thought. There are guys here who know much more about it than I do...

#7 ·
I'm trying to figure out how the amp was originally supposed to have a long tank. Was there some trick to mounting/installing it? Was the tank machined to fit? Is the part number for the tank on the schematic incorrect?

I'm quite willing to accept Jim's stated need for a short tank. I'm just confused by the discrepancy between what he said and what the schematic says, accepting that sometimes factory schematics CAN be inaccurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.