The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe this is the third time this year that some extra fee has been added and I already haven’t purchased or sold anything off reverb in probably 6 months. Between increasing their share of sales, as well as adding taxes on used gear sold in Canada it’s really looking better for private sales nowadays, at least in my opinion. Thank you for the heads up, very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Yes, thanks for the heads up. That's discouraging. Although I have found no change in buying/selling since Reverb started collecting Canadian sales tax. Like increases in Netflix and Prime, people may just suck it up.

It would be interesting to see Reverb's stats on Canadian sales.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I believe this is the third time this year that some extra fee has been added and I already haven’t purchased or sold anything off reverb in probably 6 months. Between increasing their share of sales, as well as adding taxes on used gear sold in Canada it’s really looking better for private sales nowadays, at least in my opinion. Thank your for the heads up, very much appreciated.
I've noticed there's very little used gear on Reverb lately that's priced anywhere near the point where it's worth purchasing. A lot of sellers are padding their prices to absorb the additional Reverb fees and it's to the point where most used gear is priced basically what a new one would cost when you factor the shipping. All I really see is 90% of the listings coming from retailers selling their brand new stock. And the selection that ships to Canada is really sad.

Even trying to sell on Reverb seems to be a lost cause now. There's just not a lot of buyers on there anymore.

·
Registered
2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2009 Fender Stratocaster HSS Deluxe, Mayones Duvell Elite, Martin DX1
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually liked Reverb several years ago and have made several sales and purchases over the years (everything from guitars to pedals). However, it seems like with each passing year the pricing gets more and more out of touch with reality and is now being further fed by changes to their tax policy and increases in service fees. I still peruse from time to time but its almost impossible to find a reasonable deal at this point.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Whenever I see something I'd want to buy on Reverb in Canada, I try my best to find the same listing on kijiji or FB Marketplace; I even try to find people on FB using their name and location
From what I see I think Kijiji sellers are getting their pricing decisions from Reverb because The prices there are basically new prices. Atleast for what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Like with all things credit card companies are looking to generate much higher profits as the interest they earned was not spread far enough amongst all the holders. Heck we just had to switch our Telus bill back to our checking account so we didn't get dinged for another $2.00. Heck some stores are even talking about increasing ( or decreasing ) the deals they make if paid by credit card, some prefer cash to tapping.
As for buying from facebook or kijiji dang thats taking chances out west here had several robberies reported from people gun robbed or pepper sprayed.
Well finding any great deals is impossible these days people are pricing like as it they were made of gold, just grateful I'm no longer looking to buy for myself.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
From what I see I think Kijiji sellers are getting their pricing decisions from Reverb because The prices there are basically new prices. Atleast for what I'm looking for.
This has been going on for a while now. I've even had sellers start arguing with me about their absurd price and send me screenshots of Reverb ads. And then there's those who post Reverb price screenshots right in their ad. For MANY local Kijiji/FB sellers they seem to think posted prices on Reverb are going rate for their used gear.

It's the same phenomenon as when pawn shops discovered eBay back in the day. They'd have eBay open on their computer at the counter and search for whatever item was being pawned to determine the "value" and then they'd price it higher than that.

Reactions: Mark Brown

·
Registered
786 Posts
Every once in a while , you could find a reasonable seller on Reverb, but it's becoming more rare now .

A guy in Buffalo, New York was selling a 2020 Epiphone LPC for $ 375.00 U.S. Dollars plus $ 50.00 shipping and it got swooped up quickly.
I seen Klon pedals go for $ 2000.00 USD .... IT'S A MAD HOUSE, I TELL YA !!!! 😱😵‍💫🥴🥺

Reverb has gone down hill.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I don't know if this has been discussed but the tax for items sold on reverb is calculated by the item's price plus shipping. So if you want to buy an item on reverb you pay tax (15% for NL) on item's price+shipping. I bought a pedal at 90 + 20 shipping = 110. I paid 126.5 (16.5 tax at 15% rate).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I gave up on Reverb right around the time of the Etsy purchase, closed my account and moved just to local buying and selling. The tax on used items, extremely high prices and potential income tax implications going forward (this is already a thing in the US) make it just not worthwhile. Agree that is has really ruined pricing as well, I have literally seen guitars in some pawn shops cross listed on reverb by the pawn shop.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
For those of you who watch Reverb, you are probably familiar with the seller Gear Guru from New Brunswick. He seems to have a bit of an identity crisis, sometimes he's "Guitar Shop", but he always has the same listings and unmistakable background in his photos. This morning I clicked on one of his ads, and he mentions that US Customers can save the tax by going to his website which he lists as PerfectGuitar4U (had to guess it was a .com URL.

Eye Vertebrate Water Mammal Rectangle

This dude never has the "make an offer" option enabled. He's often close to a reasonable price and would probably sell more with a bit of flexibility, but I digress. Anyway, I assumed going to the website might result in a lower price given that he has no Reverb fees, and the buyers has no protection. I was wrong - I guess he figures the buyer saving the tax is worth something. Here's one example of the Reverb listing and the listing from his website.

Musical instrument String instrument Product String instrument Guitar
Musical instrument Guitar Product Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Brown
1 - 15 of 15 Posts