The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Ouch. I look daily and have made a couple purchases. That seems like a good deal for them and maybe helps explains why the prices often seem high, at least to me.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
To be fair, the fees are a percentage of item price + incidentals so stating the total fee amount is meaningless without stating the value of the guitar as per the sale. I haven't used Reverb in a while and maybe the fee structure changed, but it was much better than ebay (lower % AND the % is of the item price only vs price + shipping like on ebay which is total BS).

Also, there are optional addon services (Reverb bump etc) that inflate the fees greatly and IMHO are not worth it or necessary; if you do not tell us if you used any of those then again, the fee amount is meaningless without that context.

There is going to be a fee, and that's fair - you may not have been able to sell the instrument for as much as fast without the huge international market Reverb provides. Still cheaper than running a brick and mortar shop, or using ebay.

Inflated prices are 100% due to the sellers (and buyers who indulge them). Reverb has no hand in the pricing.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I never use Reverb.
It's been years since I used eBay.
I hate paying fees.
I'm obstinate that way.

Reactions: hedzup

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
eBay + paypal is almost 20%...

Not on musical instruments. ebay changed their fee structure some time ago, presumably to compete with Reverb. Both sites charge 3.5% on the total sale (final price + shipping). Paypal remains at 3 or 4% whenever used (depending on domestic vs international transaction) and continues to scoop another 3 cents on the dollar (above actual exchange rates) should you have to change currencies.

Is there an advantage to selling into the US with the exchange rate?

It's a much larger market with buyers that seem more willing to part with money...IME at least. Also, as pointed out by the OP, the likelihood of selling a lesser known or "niche market" item increases significantly.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Reverb also has its own payment clearing system (Direct Checkout) which has a leg up on PayPal - if you sell in US$ and you have a US$ bank account , Reverb transfers the net sales proceeds in US$ to your US$ bank account.

That is one of my beefs with PayPal is that you are forced to convert into CAD$ when withdrawing funds. The Reverb payment system works well and I'm able to accumulate US$ as opposed to letting the US$ sit in my PayPal account.

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Reverb also has its own payment clearing system (Direct Checkout) which has a leg up on PayPal - if you sell in US$ and you have a US$ bank account , Reverb transfers the net sales proceeds in US$ to your US$ bank account.

That is one of my beefs with PayPal is that you are forced to convert into CAD$ when withdrawing funds. The Reverb payment system works well and I'm able to accumulate US$ as opposed to letting the US$ sit in my PayPal account.
You can also link a US bank account to PayPal and withdraw funds into that account. I do this myself and there's no conversion to CDN.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
I have never seen a good price on anything on Reverb, except when they had their tuners on sale for $2.
Patience is key; another will come along. Unless of course, you're interested in things that have such huge demand/mojo/hype (usually coupled with a somewhat limited supply) that they routinely sell for more than you are willing to spend. Being crowded out sucks, but thems the breaks; join the club.

Part of the rising prices are fools with more money than either sense or patience who just snap it up because it's the only one for sale anywhere online 5 minutes after they decided it's the thing they most want in the entire world. It's their prerogative, but they aren't helping is what I mean. On the other hand I love it when it's my stuff they're after, which doesn't happen that often because I don't have the most high end shit, but sometimes. If someone buys it then de facto the price was not too high; all we can do is grumble about it. It is also fair (see: the stock market bid vs ask) to list something for whatever price you are willing to let it go at even if unreasonable. Like, if I don't get X for it then I'd rather keep it. Their item; their call.

Also, it always boggles me why so few people take advantage of the make an offer button. I mean, the sellers set the price a little high (in their opinion) and expect people to use that; I know I do (high side of the valuation I see between actual sold prices on ebay/reverb/IRL/etc - high side of reasonable though I know most sellers set initial prices even higher - like where they want the value to be at vs where it is). Don't be shy, if you know what it's worth and the thing's been sitting there for a month give it a try. Worst case it's not excepted, but in my experience, if you're fair, and the seller is reasonable then it works (sometimes with some back and forth countering). If the guy rejects you outright then either he's unreasonable (and you don't want to deal with the fool anyway, cuz it won't go smoothly) or your idea of the value is outdated (happens to the best of us). Or at least wait until the seller drops the price (that's another selling tactic - start high cuz you never know if someone just wants it that bad, allow offers, and after about a month drop the price 10-20% - your watchers get alerted and usually one will at least make an offer if not just grab outright). Some sellers are dumb (this is more on ebay where the price drop is given in dollars rather than % like Reverb) about it and when they drop they only drop like 1-9% and I routinely see that and laugh. Like seriously, if I thought it was too high before, shaving $1 off won't change my mind.

I also routinely use messaging and offers to negotiate the shipping down - general estimates as listed in the auction are usually overly high to cover all bases (shipping to Canada can vary a lot - Toronto vs Victoria if the item in in NY for example), so I ask for a specific quote to ship to my address, the dude checks and I make an offer with that shipping amount. Everyone wins.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.