The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is is just me or is reverb.com seem a little pricey. I've always look at it for pricing but some stuff seem out there or is our dollar just that bad. Let's take my 79 Mesa for example I got it on commission here's the little brother of it . 79 mk 2a 60watt and 1x12 speaker for $2700. Mines the 79 mk2a 100/60 watt with the single 15" speaker both are cream colored tolex. My grill cloth is in better shape and I don't have my name carved I to the back of it and I have the plastic parts still on my eq. Dose this mean my amp it worth $2700 plus. Mind you this isn't some crackhead looking for cash .It is at a music shop in the UK.
the one at the shop
mine

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
13,249 Posts
It doesn't mean anything unless someone is willing to pay you for it.
I love selling on reverb to the US and forgoing the weirdness on the Canadian side but I hate it when people use reverb to price items for a local sale.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't mean anything unless someone is willing to pay you for it.
I love selling on reverb to the US and forgoing the weirdness on the Canadian side but I hate it when people use reverb to price items for a local sale.
I'm not trying to sell . I just think at times the prices are wacked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,204 Posts
Reverb is pricey. Some of it is the "upper insanity" of every kijiji/buy&sell on the regular. Great site, it's run well - it's the sellers that are crazy with half their prices.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Its funny...its a great place to sell. My prices are always waaayyy lower than everyone else's, but I don't understand why so many sellers are asking ridiculous prices. I mean, whats the point of listing a guitar for 5000$ when there are a dozen at 3500$?
Very strange place.

·
Banned
13,249 Posts
I can see it becoming a problem if people selling on Kijiji start using Reverb to set their prices. There are enough idiots on Kijiji as it is.
You have daily strokes of choking rage when checking Kijiji,,... if I were you I'd stay off of reverb. Think of your health, man!

I do believe Kij guys are using reverb to set local pricing. I've seen ads with mentions of it and I've had responses that mention recent reverb sales. The way I see it is,, if you want to compare to reverb then list it on reverb and best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
If that amp is in the UK, that's why the price is so high. Mesa have a world-wide reputation as a great, well built amp. But the rest of the world doesn't have as much access to them as we do here in NA. So people in the UK, Northern Europe, even Australia pay an arm and a leg to own what we can buy for half the price of a lot of those one-trick booteek amps. I would think long and hard before I traded one for a TR, even a vintage one in good shape. To each there own.

Count yourself lucky to own an amp this good - especially if you can dial it in. There are quite a few people who can't, and then blame the amp, while numerous pro's do just fine with them. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
People are thinking about this the wrong way. The majority of gear on Reverb is listed by retailers. They're in it to make profit, I can't speak for anyone else here buy when I sell I'm just trying to break even. As a social experiment, pick an item you like.....cheapest one listed for that matter and see how long it takes to sell. I was watching a suhr badger 30 for months that was listed for $1500/shipped Canadian......next cheapest was $2500. That amp was there for months until the price was dropped to $1300. And for anyone that doesn't know, CME owns Reverb and half of what's on there is their own inventory......that's why they can have sales. :)

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If that amp is in the UK, that's why the price is so high. Mesa have a world-wide reputation as a great, well built amp. But the rest of the world doesn't have as much access to them as we do here in NA. So people in the UK, Northern Europe, even Australia pay an arm and a leg to own what we can buy for half the price of a lot of those one-trick booteek amps. I would think long and hard before I traded one for a TR, even a vintage one in good shape. To each there own.

Count yourself lucky to own an amp this good - especially if you can dial it in. There are quite a few people who can't, and then blame the amp, while numerous pro's do just fine with them. Go figure.
For the most part I can it annoys me that the 5way eq only works on the lead Chanel. But the thing with the boogie is she gets mad when you plug a different guitar so im often taking pictures of my settings lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Yes, sellers on reverb are trying to get top dollar. Ridiculously so at times. HOWEVER, it is a platform I really like because of a few domino effect things

1) you can make an offer (unless the seller specifically disables that; lets you know the dude's a tool and saves you the trouble of any business with them)
2) you can let something overpriced hang out for 2 months and them swoop in with a reasonable offer, and a reasonable buyer will take it (again, instant filter for idiot sellers)

It is fair to try to get as much as you can for something; I have no issue with that though sometimes it is ridiculous as mentioned. The community sees that and laughs and posts their similar item for a bit more than they would have and it will sell because it looks good by comparison. But I do love the fact that it is easy to spot the people you should stay far away from (e.g. a known local seller who I won't mention by name; they're crazy and unscrupulous and this has been made more plain via their reverb exposure).

I can see it becoming a problem if people selling on Kijiji start using Reverb to set their prices. There are enough idiots on Kijiji as it is.
How so? Or more to the point, how so more than ebay or anything else? There will always be idiots who use asking prices as their price guide (wishful thinkers) instead of sold completed listings (ebay) or the Reverb Price Guide (which is also good, but I find lacking in that a. it will not let you see the historical listings so as to compare price to condition and b. will not show anything at all for obscure items even if one actually sold recently). Reverb tried to make it better than ebay by explicitly making something called a Price Guide, and that was a good idea (instantly assures that only sold listings are included vs insane asks that end without sale). What I find more useful is using google to search for recent sold listings on reverb after you've checked their price guide. They keep those viewable for a surprisingly long time (vs ebay).

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I prefer Kijiji.

Kijiji I can enter my postal code and how far I am willing to travel.
Kijiji I can set auto alerts.

Odds are I'm not going to buy a guitar I haven't held in my hands so seeing sellers from the US or even further than 25 km away from my location is pointless for me.

I stopped using ebay due to the shipping costs making everything not much of a deal.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Reverb is pricey. Some of it is the "upper insanity" of every kijiji/buy&sell on the regular. Great site, it's run well - it's the sellers that are crazy with half their prices.
If you set up an alert for what you're looking for, you get the good deals on Reverb.
Lately I found a set of Sanford Magnetics P90 for $100. I also found a nice Ibanez TSA15H for $200, when most are listed at $300.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Exactly, you can get better deals on ebay and reverb vs kijiji (even with shipping factored in) you just have to know how to look. ... and sometimes have some patience (like when I bought my last amp head). You can still buy local on Rerverb and ebay. There is gear other than guitars that do not require as much in-hand inspection. Kijiji is in no way immune to dreamers, in fact the same dreamers go even further because they think (and they are somewhat correct in this, to a point.... which they usually cross) that a local sale can fetch a higher price due to the fact that prospective buyers can come inspect the item and be more confident in their purchase- with guitars there is some obvious truth to this.

But to each their own; use what you like.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Same old Gunch; nobody said you couldn't get a good deal on Kijiji. You said you couldn't on ebay/reverb; disputing that does not equal saying kijiji sucks. What I did say is that there are other potential pitfals on Kijiji; there are good and bad sellers on any platform you care to look at.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You said you can get better deals on ebay and reverb which is obviously not a universal truth.

"Exactly, you can get better deals on ebay and reverb vs kijiji"

You can get deals on all the platforms.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts