The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have looked into reverb.com to sell stuff but have read some really negative comments about it. Does anyone on here also use and, if so, what are the pitfalls?

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've mainly bought on there but have sold a few pedals that I couldn't sell locally. The fees actually come to about 6.2% since they charge you 2.7% fee plus $0.25 when you get paid and then also the sellers fee vadsy mentioned.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
I've mainly bought on there but have sold a few pedals that I couldn't sell locally. The fees actually come to about 6.2% since they charge you 2.7% fee plus $0.25 when you get paid and then also the sellers fee vadsy mentioned.
I'm a little confused on this, not arguing, just not aware of it. I recently sold a pedal for $343 and the bill at the end of the month was $12, so 3.5% and that's it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm a little confused on this, not arguing, just not aware of it. I recently sold a pedal for $343 and the bill at the end of the month was $12, so 3.5% and that's it.
You either get hit with the charge by Paypal or you get hit with a charge by Reverb for using their direct checkout if you have a US bank account. I always factor in the service fees when calculating total costs or user fees for any services. That's where the 6.2% fee comes in... but you are 100% correct final sale fee is only 3.5%

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If you sell from Canada to the US, there are not really many other options other than Paypal which charges 3%, so the total fee is 6.5%. But, with our dollar, a guitar that won't sell here for 1000$ might sell on Reverb for 800-900$.
Of course, now its risky with this ridiculous CITES thing.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
You either get hit with the charge by Paypal or you get hit with a charge by Reverb for using their direct checkout if you have a US bank account. I always factor in the service fees when calculating total costs or user fees for any services. That's where the 6.2% fee comes in... but you are 100% correct final sale fee is only 3.5%
All good. I know Paypal adds to it but I was confused when it got lumped in with Reverb fees. It is good to know what it'll cost in the end.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
What do you do about shipping and customs to the US?
Put a disclaimer in your shop policies stating that it is up to them to determine the extra costs and that you're not responsible.

That's what I've done and have never had an issue, and I sell exclusively to the states (and asia about 5% of the time).

When you negotiate a price with them (if you allow them to make an offer, you can continually adjust shipping costs, etc.) This will give you time to go and get an exact quote for the address and then resubmit another offer.
That also gives them time to check their potential added costs.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Put a disclaimer in your shop policies stating that it is up to them to determine the extra costs and that you're not responsible.

That usually is deterrent for US residents to buy from Canadians.

For the OP, If the instrument was made in North America, I usually state in my ad " no duties or taxes for US and Canadian residents". If you are shipping FedEx or UPS ground, brokerage fees will apply. For guitars, I use Canada Post Xpresspost and for pedals, Expedited. States in US do not currently collect state/sales tax and therefore, the buyer does not need to pay anything (usually). I am not sure if USPS charges a flat brokerage fee similar to Canada Post of $10 (CP does not always charge it).

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Xpresspost to the States ?
So what's a ballpark amount with brokerage and all for a guitar ? Does it vary much with the destination, like East coast vs West coast ?
It varies between $100 - $150, insurance is $1,000 max. For smaller dollar items, expedited works better. Rates have gone up but transit times are reduced. I shipped a guitar to California Xpresspost on a Thursday and the buyer had it in hand Saturday morning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts