The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
This is interesting. Those that follow That Pedal Show will know that Dan is very attached to his Electric Mistress. Last year, he contacted Joel Korte of Chase Bliss Audio, and asked if Joel could make him a work-alike, so that he didn't have to risk bringing his original to gigs. Joel contacted me and asked if I wanted to work on it with him. I indicated I was able to provide ideas for additional features not included on the original, but not really up to the task of working out the specific technical details. Undaunted, Joel then approached Tim Larwill, who makes the Retro-Sonic pedals. Tim is another Ottawan. I've known Tim for many years, consulted on a few of his pedals, and the three of us have met several times. I gather that Joel probably became pre-ocuppied with development of the two pedals he debuted at NAMM 2019, and it eventually turned into Tim's solo project. Tim has previously made a very well-received replica of the Boss CE-1, so there is no reason why he couldn't do just as good a job with the Electric Mistress.

I don't know this for sure, but all the facts line up. I would expect to see Dan and Mick using the Retro-Sonic on a future episode of TPS, and I expect to see Dan smiling broadly. Joel sent me a pic of Dan's pedals that he was wanting clones of, so you can see what version Tim likely cloned. That version used a Reticon SAD-1024, which would be unobtainable in the quantities needed for a commercial run, so I gather Tim used a different delay chip and adapted the circuit appropriately to mimic what the original did. Poking around, it seems that effect/bypass level balance is a historically recognized issue with this version, and is probably exacerbated by using true-bypass switching. So the inclusion of the Level control will make many users happy.

I'm going to have to pop Tim a note, and congratulate him

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How cool!

I do watch That Pedal Show. It will be interesting to see when/if they feature it in an upcoming episode.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow! That is cool! It will be interesting to see what tweeks have been made. I have a pair of the older Madbean Current Lovers with the MN3007 biased for 12v operation. They sound good, but I can't help hearing a CE-2 flavour in there at times due to the bbd's sonic signature. I heard MN3009s were going to be released by Xvive this year.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
The inclusion of a volume control will likely please many. Looking at some forum threads in other places, some report a volume drop from vintage EMs. So being able to have effect and bypass levels properly matched, or be able to kick in a small amount of boost for effect solos and such, will be welcomed.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Wow! That is cool! It will be interesting to see what tweeks have been made. I have a pair of the older Madbean Current Lovers with the MN3007 biased for 12v operation. They sound good, but I can't help hearing a CE-2 flavour in there at times due to the bbd's sonic signature. I heard MN3009s were going to be released by Xvive this year.
How do you find the Current Lover for noise and volume drop? I got one in the build queue but not got to it yet. Probably for the best because now the 3007/9s are back out vs risk of fakes on ebay. I forget what chip I originally grabbed to use for this thing.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
While the 3009s are certainly suitable for achieving very short delay times for the odd "jet plane" sweep, at only 256 stages, they are less suitable for producing longer delays. You can GET them to produce longer delays by simply clocking them slower, but the problem that creates is that the slower clocking needed to achieve, say, 10msec with 256 stages demands more lowpass filtering to keep the clock noise inaudible. In some respects it is preferable to use a 1024-stage or 512-stage device, in conjunction with clock-buffering circuitry, that enables the chip to reach "the heights" needed for jet plane sounds, while still achieving the longer delays needed for ultra-wide sweeps without sacrificing too much top end. Many authorities in the field will recommend a sweep ratio of greater than 30:1 being desirable for flanging. So if the shortest delay time achieved was 300usec (1/3 of a millisecond), you'd need to be able to achieve a maximum delay of 9msec or more, and that starts to run you into dangerously audible territory for the clock.

The old Roland Juno-106 (and I suspect some other synths) used a pair of MN3009 chips for their chorus sound. But keep in mind that it was chorus (hence fairly modest sweep), and that synths have MUCH greater bandwidth than guitars so even a fairly narrow sweep in a very high range (i.e., short delays) would still yield quite audible swirl.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The old Roland Juno-106 (and I suspect some other synths) used a pair of MN3009 chips for their chorus sound. But keep in mind that it was chorus (hence fairly modest sweep), and that synths have MUCH greater bandwidth than guitars so even a fairly narrow sweep in a very high range (i.e., short delays) would still yield quite audible swirl.
And TC Electronic is about to release a pedal that is a clone of the Roland Juno-60's chorus section.

|JUNE-60|Tcelectronic|P0D8E

·
Registered
122 Posts
How do you find the Current Lover for noise and volume drop? I got one in the build queue but not got to it yet. Probably for the best because now the 3007/9s are back out vs risk of fakes on ebay. I forget what chip I originally grabbed to use for this thing.
Which version do you have? MB updated the pcb to run only the 3007 in 2016 I think. I don't like that one because he switched to an opamp gain stage at the output to address the volume drop. The previous version uses a transistor and can be configured to run either the 3207 or 3007. I initially had the 3207 in there and then swapped it for the 3007. At the time I thought it sounded better, but now I'm not too sure. I thought running it at 12v would be "better" and it definitely gave it a deeper sweep but the voicing is not quite right for achieving the sound of the 18v V2 from 1976 or so. A good option, but not a straight up replacement. I actually think the Current Lover sounds better with a bit of a volume drop, I set the output level to be just a pinch below unity.

Any idea if 3009s can be run in series for 512 stage total?

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Any idea if 3009s can be run in series for 512 stage total?
You can run pretty well any BBD in series with any other BBD from the same family. So, a 3009 in series with a 3007 in series with a 3008, if you felt like it. HOWEVER, there is no guarantee that their individual bias voltages will be identical. When the MN3005 disappeared from the landscape (well before Xvive brought it back), Maxon cascaded eight MN3007s to make their AD-999 delay pedal (ignore the numbers; those are proprietary house numbers), with each BBD having its own bias and balance trimmer.

Really, you'd be far better off to simply clock an MN3007 (or even 3207) twice as fast, than to waste a pair of MN3009s, and have the nuisance of tweaking two sets of trimmers.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Which version do you have? MB updated the pcb to run only the 3007 in 2016 I think.
The updated one. Can only run on 9V apparently. I think it has been updated again since.

Thanks for the info! I've never used the original so just looking for a good flanger. Any idea is the fx loop (ostensibly to enable through zero flanging) is worth it. Really cramps the box and I loathe to use side jacks unless there's good reason.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts